Remove DVR setup will not get past "Awaiting Authentication"
fifor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I've tried three or four times now to setup remote DVR and it refuses to work.  First I initiate it, then it tells me my router has to be reset to continue (incredibly frustrating), but it doesn't mention how soon after that I can restore my previous settings.  So I reset, get the email that says it's now awaiting authentication and that it should take 24-48 hours, and then I put my router settings back to where they were.  It never gets past this stage.  I don't want to call technical support because I know they'll just tell me to reset my router AGAIN and nothing will be different.  How can I continue the setup?  Am I supposed to leave my router in the default state with the terrible WEP encryption until after I receive an email saying authentication is complete?

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Remove DVR setup will not get past "Awaiting Authentication"
fifor
Enthusiast - Level 3

This has been resolved, finally!  For anyone else with similar issues, tech support had to reactivate Remote DVR for me, then had to reset my box multiple times, and the final step that got it working was running the self-diagnostics.  After it said "Listener 2 started," everything worked.  What's really weird is that no port forwwards were ever set up on my router, and yet it still works, even from outside my network (tried the app with WiFi disabled using 3G on my phone).  I'm not really sure how that works, but I'm just glad it's working.  As frustrating as tech support can be sometimes, it's nice to see reps from this board hook users up with support staff so quickly.

On a related note, the DVR Manager app for Android is very nice, but for some odd reason it performs much worse over WiFi than on 3G.  On 3G it could fetch DVR info quickly and perform searches in real-time as I typed.  On WiFi the DVR operations take a lot longer and the search would only work right maybe one or two times before starting to take forever and hang.

View solution in original post

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Changing the wireless protection mode will not cause this failure. There is something else going on. We have sent you a private message to get more information.

0 Likes
fifor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the reply, I have responded to the private message.

0 Likes
fifor
Enthusiast - Level 3

This has been resolved, finally!  For anyone else with similar issues, tech support had to reactivate Remote DVR for me, then had to reset my box multiple times, and the final step that got it working was running the self-diagnostics.  After it said "Listener 2 started," everything worked.  What's really weird is that no port forwwards were ever set up on my router, and yet it still works, even from outside my network (tried the app with WiFi disabled using 3G on my phone).  I'm not really sure how that works, but I'm just glad it's working.  As frustrating as tech support can be sometimes, it's nice to see reps from this board hook users up with support staff so quickly.

On a related note, the DVR Manager app for Android is very nice, but for some odd reason it performs much worse over WiFi than on 3G.  On 3G it could fetch DVR info quickly and perform searches in real-time as I typed.  On WiFi the DVR operations take a lot longer and the search would only work right maybe one or two times before starting to take forever and hang.

gltomlin

Hi I am having same problem as other poster. Can you reset my Remote DVR status in the system or do I need to call in to do this?

0 Likes
fifor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try the Self-Diagnostics on the DVR and see if that fixes the problem.  If it doesn't, call in and ask them to reset it, and then do the self-diag again.

0 Likes