Renovating House - FiOS Coaxial Splitter Question
HalliganHook

Hello All,

Here is a my scenario...We are in the process of constructing an addition above my existing split level ranch house.  I am pre-planning running new low-voltage wiring for both ethernet and coaxial.

I have a Verizon installed 8-way MoCA 2.0 splitter in my basement which is where by FiOS Router and ONT are both installed.  This 8-way splitter currently supplies two of the three existing bedrooms in the portion of the house that not being renovated.  The addition includes a fourth bedroom, which will require coaxial for an additional STB.

The issue I am having is the wall void that I used to run all my CAT5e and coaxial wires several years ago from the basement (FiOS) closet to the upper bedrooms has now been removed by the new construction.  Needless to say, I need to find a new way to supply all four bedrooms with coaxial.  Instead of running 4 brand-new coaxial homeruns from the basement closet, can I run ONE coaxial to a splitter in the new addition and supply the four bedrooms from it? I am basically asking if it is OK to split a coaxial connection twice?  I would also no longer need such a large (8-way) splitter in the basement closet because it would only be supplying one television in the lower portion of the home.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Renovating House - FiOS Coaxial Splitter Question
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I’ve got several splits and no signal Amp.  I’ve found that as long as there are no more than 3 splits between an end point (STB’s and the router; STB’s and ONT; router to the ONT if your Ethernet is on Coax instead of cat5) and you’ve not got any open endpoints (cap them with a terminator if you do to keep out noise) you should be fine.

2-way splitters are one hop

3-ways - one hop to the first port and two for the others

4-ways - two from top to bottom (basically a cascade set of three two ways)

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be ok if you remove the 8 way and replace it with a 2 way. You already have a strong enough signal to split 8 ways, 5 ways should be fine. You should use a 2 way in the basement,  running to a 4 way upstairs. If you have problems,  you may need a distribution amplifier upstairs instead of a splitter.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I’ve got several splits and no signal Amp.  I’ve found that as long as there are no more than 3 splits between an end point (STB’s and the router; STB’s and ONT; router to the ONT if your Ethernet is on Coax instead of cat5) and you’ve not got any open endpoints (cap them with a terminator if you do to keep out noise) you should be fine.

2-way splitters are one hop

3-ways - one hop to the first port and two for the others

4-ways - two from top to bottom (basically a cascade set of three two ways)

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HalliganHook wrote:

Hello All,

Here is a my scenario...We are in the process of constructing an addition above my existing split level ranch house.  I am pre-planning running new low-voltage wiring for both ethernet and coaxial.

I have a Verizon installed 8-way MoCA 2.0 splitter in my basement which is where by FiOS Router and ONT are both installed.  This 8-way splitter currently supplies two of the three existing bedrooms in the portion of the house that not being renovated.  The addition includes a fourth bedroom, which will require coaxial for an additional STB.

The issue I am having is the wall void that I used to run all my CAT5e and coaxial wires several years ago from the basement (FiOS) closet to the upper bedrooms has now been removed by the new construction.  Needless to say, I need to find a new way to supply all four bedrooms with coaxial.  Instead of running 4 brand-new coaxial homeruns from the basement closet, can I run ONE coaxial to a splitter in the new addition and supply the four bedrooms from it? I am basically asking if it is OK to split a coaxial connection twice?  I would also no longer need such a large (8-way) splitter in the basement closet because it would only be supplying one television in the lower portion of the home.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Definitely run homeruns to each location. For coax run at least tri-shield RG6. For ethernet run Cat 6. There is usually no need to run 6a because 6 will typically be fine for the 128 foot distance. Wherever you plan to place the router run two ethernets so you can feed back to the others and place a switch. 

It is a little extra work but if you are remodeling you might as well. You don’t even have to terminate them for now. Just put them in a box with a blank faceplate so they are there for the future.