Replace SetTop box with Tivo
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I believe that FIOS is compatible with Tivo.

Can I replace the SetTop Box with a Tivo & still get all of my channels (Extreme HD) & local channels & PBS?

I'd need a CableCard. How much is that? I think that it's $4.99.

0 Likes
Re: Replace SetTop box with Tivo
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

I believe that FIOS is compatible with Tivo.

Can I replace the SetTop Box with a Tivo & still get all of my channels (Extreme HD) & local channels & PBS?

I'd need a CableCard. How much is that? I think that it's $4.99.

Yes you can replace your set-top box with TiVo and a cable card. You will also get all your channels. Not sure the exact price but it should be around $5. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I read somewhere that if one replaces the settop box with a Tivo, one loses pay-per-view. Do you know if that is still true? I suppose that one also loses the widgets, but I've never used the widgets anyway. It would be nice to keep the pay-per-view, though.

Do you know if replacing the settop box with a Tivo violates the contract? I'm retired & I'm looking for ways to save money. My contract expires in May 2019.

I would be renting the cable card, right?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes everything that is on the set-top box will be gone. You will be using the TiVo interface. The newer TiVos most likely have similar apps and widgets. If not you could buy a Firestick and that would give you access to On Demand content through the providers apps. I don't think it would be breaking the contract as you are just switching equipment. Yes you do rent the cable card.