Switch Account

Replace SetTop box with Tivo

Replace SetTop box with Tivo

Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 1 of 4
(570 Views)

I believe that FIOS is compatible with Tivo.

Can I replace the SetTop Box with a Tivo & still get all of my channels (Extreme HD) & local channels & PBS?

I'd need a CableCard. How much is that? I think that it's $4.99.

3 REPLIES 3
MVP Edg1 MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4
(529 Views)

@pcnerd wrote:

I believe that FIOS is compatible with Tivo.

Can I replace the SetTop Box with a Tivo & still get all of my channels (Extreme HD) & local channels & PBS?

I'd need a CableCard. How much is that? I think that it's $4.99.

Yes you can replace your set-top box with TiVo and a cable card. You will also get all your channels. Not sure the exact price but it should be around $5. 

Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 3 of 4
(521 Views)

I read somewhere that if one replaces the settop box with a Tivo, one loses pay-per-view. Do you know if that is still true? I suppose that one also loses the widgets, but I've never used the widgets anyway. It would be nice to keep the pay-per-view, though.

Do you know if replacing the settop box with a Tivo violates the contract? I'm retired & I'm looking for ways to save money. My contract expires in May 2019.

I would be renting the cable card, right?

MVP Edg1 MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4
(458 Views)

Yes everything that is on the set-top box will be gone. You will be using the TiVo interface. The newer TiVos most likely have similar apps and widgets. If not you could buy a Firestick and that would give you access to On Demand content through the providers apps. I don't think it would be breaking the contract as you are just switching equipment. Yes you do rent the cable card. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.