Switch Account

Replacement DVR: Which one?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Replacement DVR: Which one?

Message 1 of 5
(2,300 Views)

My QIP 7216 1 DVR is on the fritz (noisy fan runs continuously), so I need to replace it. Before i call or go to verizon, I am wondering if there are differnt DVR models available now, and is there one model that I should try and get. I am looking for a basic DVR, for one TV only, and don't need the many recordings at once feature.

What are the current models offered? And do i have a choice in which one i get?

Between ordering a replacement by phone, and going into the local Verizon location, is there an advantage of one over the other?

Thanks!

Dan

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Replacement DVR: Which one?

Message 2 of 5
(2,266 Views)

If you call to request a replacement for your noisy 7216 you'll more than likely get the 7232, but it all depends on what is available in the warehouse/store (there isn't a way to chose a specific model).  Your old 7216 only has a 160GB HDD and the 7232 has 500GB.  If you want the latest and greatest DVR, you would have to upgrade to FiOS Quantum TV. 

Hope that helps 🙂

-Nick

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 3 of 5
(2,193 Views)

I just received the same unit and it is really noisy.  Mine even has the DVR disabled and it runs like crazy.  Will try to get it replaced.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 5
(2,157 Views)

@Nick_L wrote:

If you call to request a replacement for your noisy 7216 you'll more than likely get the 7232, but it all depends on what is available in the warehouse/store (there isn't a way to chose a specific model).  Your old 7216 only has a 160GB HDD and the 7232 has 500GB.  If you want the latest and greatest DVR, you would have to upgrade to FiOS Quantum TV. 

Hope that helps 🙂

-Nick

Replacement and refurbished 7216's shoul have 500GB drives now.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Replacement DVR: Warning!

Message 5 of 5
(1,783 Views)

I'm not one that usually looks at blogs, but I'm throwing this out there as a warning to fellow Verizon customers.  About a year ago, my faithful STB that I'd had for over 2 years was giving out. I received a totally different make & model--Motorola 7216. From the start the fan ran continually. It then started rebooting at different times for no reason at all. I used to work on TVs & VHS machines, so I know a bit about such things. I tried troubleshooting on my own & then tried working with several FIOs techs. Nothing helped, including putting it on a surge protector, blowing a fan on it to keep it cool, etc. Some of the techs tried to tell me it was because of my power outlets or the unit was in a cabinet. No to both. No other electronics are affected & it sits on top of a desk with more than 3 inches clearance on all sides, nothing on top, & I even lifted it so the underneath received circulation. The unit died within a few months, & I was sent another unit exactly the same. 

This unit also began to reboot randomly. I called with my concerns & requested I be sent a different model because this seems to be a defect in manufactoring. I was told this is the only one they use, except for the Cisco brand i.e. the Quantum style that costs $8 more/month. I informed them I wasn't about to pay more for the privilege of using their faulty equipment when I have nothing to do with the problem. I was tossed back & forth between Tech & Customer Services & spent HOURS, and I mean HOURS over this & it spanned through most of October & November. I was sent 2 replacement boxes--same make & model. I chose one & set it up. Imagine my surprise to find it had some shows on it. I realized then that I'd been sent a used unit. I'm not opposed to refurbished, I just expect to be notified of that. 

After 4 days, the one I chose also began to reboot randomly. I again called FIOs. The tech agreed it is a manufactoring problem and was very surprised the unit had programs on it as they are suppose to be cleared, tested, & cleaned for re-use. He assured me he was putting through an order that I receive a brand new unit. I got it & set it up today.

Within 10 minutes, after it went through set up, I checked to see if there were any recordings. There were from channels I don't get with programs I would NEVER watch--recorded back in July. I got on the phone to Verizon & spent the next 2 hours with the tech & a supervisor. I was told there is no way they can get me a new unit; it is up to distribution as to what gets sent out. I said I wanted this to be addressed because now I feel not only lied to but that Verizon doesn't care squat for customers. Someone needs to alert the higher ups that distribution is not doing their job & are sending out units not only in poor working order, but they don't even give the courtesy of clearing out any old programming left on the unit.

I look at this as a bait & switch because they're trying to force people up to the Quantum & I don't want it. I was forced into the Quantum router & I really want the old router back--it worked better. Mind you, I've been with Verizon since they were GTE. The supervisor is working with me on this & we'll see if this unit is going to randomly reboot. Meanwhile, I checked the "Manage Series Recordings" & "Deletions". There are programs from 2009 still on there.  Check your "Manage" under DVR & see if you're dealing with a used piece of equipment. 

Verizon, I always considered you a quality company. Words can't begin to express my extreme disappointment in this shoddy & sloppy treatment. Here's hoping you'll get to the bottom of this and make it right.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.