Replacement DVR: Which one?
DJK104
Enthusiast - Level 1

My QIP 7216 1 DVR is on the fritz (noisy fan runs continuously), so I need to replace it. Before i call or go to verizon, I am wondering if there are differnt DVR models available now, and is there one model that I should try and get. I am looking for a basic DVR, for one TV only, and don't need the many recordings at once feature.

What are the current models offered? And do i have a choice in which one i get?

Between ordering a replacement by phone, and going into the local Verizon location, is there an advantage of one over the other?

Thanks!

Dan

0 Likes
Re: Replacement DVR: Which one?
Nick_L1
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you call to request a replacement for your noisy 7216 you'll more than likely get the 7232, but it all depends on what is available in the warehouse/store (there isn't a way to chose a specific model).  Your old 7216 only has a 160GB HDD and the 7232 has 500GB.  If you want the latest and greatest DVR, you would have to upgrade to FiOS Quantum TV. 

Hope that helps 🙂

-Nick

Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

I just received the same unit and it is really noisy.  Mine even has the DVR disabled and it runs like crazy.  Will try to get it replaced.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Nick_L wrote:

If you call to request a replacement for your noisy 7216 you'll more than likely get the 7232, but it all depends on what is available in the warehouse/store (there isn't a way to chose a specific model).  Your old 7216 only has a 160GB HDD and the 7232 has 500GB.  If you want the latest and greatest DVR, you would have to upgrade to FiOS Quantum TV. 

Hope that helps 🙂

-Nick

Replacement and refurbished 7216's shoul have 500GB drives now.

0 Likes
Re: Replacement DVR: Warning!
Plaidchow

I'm not one that usually looks at blogs, but I'm throwing this out there as a warning to fellow Verizon customers.  About a year ago, my faithful STB that I'd had for over 2 years was giving out. I received a totally different make & model--Motorola 7216. From the start the fan ran continually. It then started rebooting at different times for no reason at all. I used to work on TVs & VHS machines, so I know a bit about such things. I tried troubleshooting on my own & then tried working with several FIOs techs. Nothing helped, including putting it on a surge protector, blowing a fan on it to keep it cool, etc. Some of the techs tried to tell me it was because of my power outlets or the unit was in a cabinet. No to both. No other electronics are affected & it sits on top of a desk with more than 3 inches clearance on all sides, nothing on top, & I even lifted it so the underneath received circulation. The unit died within a few months, & I was sent another unit exactly the same. 

This unit also began to reboot randomly. I called with my concerns & requested I be sent a different model because this seems to be a defect in manufactoring. I was told this is the only one they use, except for the Cisco brand i.e. the Quantum style that costs $8 more/month. I informed them I wasn't about to pay more for the privilege of using their faulty equipment when I have nothing to do with the problem. I was tossed back & forth between Tech & Customer Services & spent HOURS, and I mean HOURS over this & it spanned through most of October & November. I was sent 2 replacement boxes--same make & model. I chose one & set it up. Imagine my surprise to find it had some shows on it. I realized then that I'd been sent a used unit. I'm not opposed to refurbished, I just expect to be notified of that. 

After 4 days, the one I chose also began to reboot randomly. I again called FIOs. The tech agreed it is a manufactoring problem and was very surprised the unit had programs on it as they are suppose to be cleared, tested, & cleaned for re-use. He assured me he was putting through an order that I receive a brand new unit. I got it & set it up today.

Within 10 minutes, after it went through set up, I checked to see if there were any recordings. There were from channels I don't get with programs I would NEVER watch--recorded back in July. I got on the phone to Verizon & spent the next 2 hours with the tech & a supervisor. I was told there is no way they can get me a new unit; it is up to distribution as to what gets sent out. I said I wanted this to be addressed because now I feel not only lied to but that Verizon doesn't care squat for customers. Someone needs to alert the higher ups that distribution is not doing their job & are sending out units not only in poor working order, but they don't even give the courtesy of clearing out any old programming left on the unit.

I look at this as a bait & switch because they're trying to force people up to the Quantum & I don't want it. I was forced into the Quantum router & I really want the old router back--it worked better. Mind you, I've been with Verizon since they were GTE. The supervisor is working with me on this & we'll see if this unit is going to randomly reboot. Meanwhile, I checked the "Manage Series Recordings" & "Deletions". There are programs from 2009 still on there.  Check your "Manage" under DVR & see if you're dealing with a used piece of equipment. 

Verizon, I always considered you a quality company. Words can't begin to express my extreme disappointment in this shoddy & sloppy treatment. Here's hoping you'll get to the bottom of this and make it right.

0 Likes