Replacement set top box comes without power cord!!
dancedoc47
Enthusiast - Level 1

My QIP 7232 2 box, which has worked fine for me for over a year, had the DVR hard drive die last week [that is tech support's diagnosis after prolonged manipulation and investigation]. 

I have now had 3 prolonged phone conversations with tech support. The upshot is that Verizon shipped me a replacement set top box (STB) that had the same model number [QIP 7232 2] but did have a logo of "Energy Star" on the front - which my originial box does not have. The replacement box came with 2 short coax cables, an HDMI cable, but no power cable. And, of course, my original cable will not fit the new box. the old box has a 3-prong power cord receptacle and the new box has a 2-prong power cord receptacle. 

I called back to tech support, explained the problem - the tech support person said he was "speechless", discussed it with his supervisor, and told me the only thing they could do is ship me another replacement box. 

You guessed it - the new (second) replacement box arrived [ it is another QIP 7232 2 with an "Energy Star" logo on the front] and it also came without a power cord, also requires a 2-prong power cord, and here I am with a 3-prong cord.

So, I made my 3rd call to tech support - told this time that fundamentally TECH SUPPORT in only empowered to send replacement boxes but not replacement power cords, and that I would have to try "billing support" to get a cord. that sounds bogus. But, as it is Sunday now, Billing isn't open anyway, so I will have to try them sometime this coming week. 

So, both the replacement boxes are identical [Motorola QIP 7232 2 with an "Energy Star" sticker on the front], both arrived with an HDMI cable and 2 short coax cables, but no power cable, both are identical to my origininal [broken] box except for the "Energy Star" sticker on the front and the different power cord receptacle. And, both the replacement boxes came in boxes labeled, "CTDI - global engineering, repair, and logistics".

I now have 3 set top boxes [one without DVR functionality and 2 sitting in cardboard boxes] and one power cable. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

Any suggestions? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replacement set top box comes without power cord!!
dancedoc47
Enthusiast - Level 1

This problem is solved! I simply called my local Verizon Fios store, the guy on the phone knew immediately what the problem is, told me they have plenty of power cables, told me to come down and pick one up. He knew I would get there a short time after they closed but told me to just knock on the door and say "power cable". When i did that he met me at the door with the needed power cable, gave it to me and said all I owed was "a smile".  Now THAT'S great customer service!

View solution in original post

Wiz514
Enthusiast - Level 2

While I did not have you perticuler situation I have been trying to get my upgraded 500GB DVR authorized for about a week now, Generally customer service and Tech Support is HORRIBLE with Verizon. Just horrible...Extended wait times, incompetent or poorly trained reps answering phones etc...etc. I cannot imagine how long you were on hold for each time but I do sympathise.

0 Likes
dancedoc47
Enthusiast - Level 1

This problem is solved! I simply called my local Verizon Fios store, the guy on the phone knew immediately what the problem is, told me they have plenty of power cables, told me to come down and pick one up. He knew I would get there a short time after they closed but told me to just knock on the door and say "power cable". When i did that he met me at the door with the needed power cable, gave it to me and said all I owed was "a smile".  Now THAT'S great customer service!