Replacing FiOS DVR with TIVO?
rottenkid
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a new Fios tv customer. I was with *D*tv for 10 years. The only problem I had with *D* tv was the price. The only problem I have with verizon is the DVR, specifically, it's functionality. It's really bad compared to what I am used to. My question is, can I get rid of the main DVR (cisco 435), and use a Tivo premiere instead. Will I still have the MRDVR function.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replacing FiOS DVR with TIVO?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

TIVO works with FiOS with the followeing caveats:

1. You must rent a cable card ($3.99 per month) in addition to the monthly TIVO fee.
  2. You can't get any of the IP based functions (VOD, widgets, etc).
  3. The only multi room would be TIVO to TIVO or TIVO to PC - can't communicate with the Verizon STBs.

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

TIVO works with FiOS with the followeing caveats:

1. You must rent a cable card ($3.99 per month) in addition to the monthly TIVO fee.
  2. You can't get any of the IP based functions (VOD, widgets, etc).
  3. The only multi room would be TIVO to TIVO or TIVO to PC - can't communicate with the Verizon STBs.
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Wait for the cisco to get the newest update. You might be pleasantly surprised with how it is. But yes you can get a tivo. The above information is spot on.
0 Likes
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

I guess I have lower expectations. I, too, came from 10+ years of D*TV and multiple TiVos. I hacked and moded these until I had large disk drives, MRV, Web Access, PC access. Last week or so I dumped it all and moved to FiOS and their DVRs. It works differently than a TiVo, the UI is different, but I can't say I'm missing anything, at least not when 1.9 hits I get my ability to share content again.

Whe I started with D*TV, I had Microsofts UltimateTV. They eventually died and I went to TiVo. I felt I gave up some functionality going to Tivo, but I got over it and got used to Tivo. I'll get used to the 7232 in the same way.

I certianly considered S3 or S4 Tivos for FiOS, but I eventually cheaped out and went with the leased 7232s. So far, I'm not sorry.

-----------
- mike

3 x QIP-7232-P2 w/IMG 1.8
Westell A90-9100EM15-10
VHO1

cperilli

After having a Tivo Premiere for almost a year (and recently added 1.5 TB external storage), I just sent back my FIOS DVR.  Yes, they finally came out with a FIOS DVR with more than a laughable amount of HD recording space but that was not enough to convince me.  While the Tivo does not have true multi-room capability (DirecTV DVR blows away everyone on this feature) and no VOD, it is far superior in all other aspects.  The "Wish List" function, ease of space expansion, ability to download to computer etc. just make the Tivo a superior box.   Could be I'm just brainwashed after using Tivo for 8 years on DirecTV, but I just ordered a 2nd Tivo Premiere which will give me "sort of" multi room in that recordings on one box can be copied to another and you can start watching as soon as you start copying.  I do miss the clock on the FIOS DVR though...

0 Likes