Replacing Multi Room DVR
tsigwing

So I went to Verizon to replace my last non HD box with a HD box, and the rep at the store insisted that I had to change out my multi room DVR to the new one.  He was rather rude about it, but ok.

Any way to move the programs on the old one to the new one?  Can I have both up and running for a period of time to watch the old shows?  Any way to move the programming list from one to the other? 

0 Likes
Re: Replacing Multi Room DVR
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@tsigwing wrote:

So I went to Verizon to replace my last non HD box with a HD box, and the rep at the store insisted that I had to change out my multi room DVR to the new one.  He was rather rude about it, but ok.

Any way to move the programs on the old one to the new one?  Can I have both up and running for a period of time to watch the old shows?  Any way to move the programming list from one to the other? 

There is only one reason for replacing the MRDVR that I can think of. If you have a 6416 model, you may want to upgrade to the 7216 or 7232 so that the eSATA port can be enabled with the upcoming IMG 1.9 to get the expanded storage. Other than that, I can think of no reason to switch.

What model is your Old MRDVR? and what model did they give you as a replacement?

If they are upgrading you from a 6416 to a 7xxx. Then just leave the old connected until you watch all the shows then hook up the new. But you are going to have to re-do all your programming on the new box. no way of xfering it over.

If you already have a 7xxx STB, then he gave you bad info. Just take the new one back and keep the old.

0 Likes
tsigwing

I don't know the model numbers, the old one has the 160? GB hard drive, and the new one is the 500?GB drive.

The old one works fine, and I didn't even request for a change, he just said I needed to change it, which was odd.  I guess the new one will be larger, so that is good, and if it is actually more energy efficient that would be a plus, but still...

0 Likes
tsigwing

Also wondering though, I have shows that are currently recording daily (my wife has got to record the Yound and the Restless).  How do I go about getting the new one working and recording, while allowing me to watch the old one?  Can I hook them both up at the same time in different rooms?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

sure, you can hook them up in different rooms, just be aware that when you connect the new DVR it will become the HUB DVR so you will no longer be able to view the recordings from the old DVR to any of the non-DVR's. You will have to watch the recordings on that DVR itself.

The new DVR if it is the 500Gb DVR is model 7232. That is a good swap. More recording space. As for the old, again without knowing which model number, cannot be sure why they are having you swap it, but the new bigger harddrive cant hurt. Smiley Wink

You can find the model number on the old one listed on the front left side of the box. It should say QIP-xxxx. But since they did give you a 500gig. I'd take it.

0 Likes