Router breaks some TV channels
anderdb

I am having an issue where certain TV channels are experiencing heavy data loss resulting in video/audio errors and drop outs.  This occurs consistently on a few channels scattered throughout the lineup.  I spent some time today trying to track down the problem assuming a bad cable or splitter but was surprised to discover that the issue is caused by the Actiontec router being plugged in and turned on. 

My setup is fairly simple.  Coax comes from the ONT to a splitter.  One end of the splitter goes to a bedroom STB.  The other end goes to a splitter in my living room that goes to my living room STB and the Actiontec router.  I tried swapping out various cables and splitters and eventually discovered that the errors are caused by the Actiontec router being connected to the splitter and turned on.  If I either disconnect or turn off the router, the errors go away.  The errors are on both TVs.  I tried a new cable direct from ONT to the living room splitter and tried swapping out that splitter but always get the errors as soon as the router is connected. 

Any ideas how I can fix this? 

0 Likes
Re: Router breaks some TV channels
Mike_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Hello Anderdb,

The router does interface with the set top boxes to provide data functions such as widgets, guide information, and video on demand.  The router should not cause any abnormal picture issues on broadcast channels in a normal state.  There are a few things you can do to isolate the issue further.

1.) Factory reset the router with it powered on by holding the reset button for 10 seconds.

2.) On a set top box go in to Menu > Customer Support > Self Diagnostic and run the test.

• You will get a SNR signal reading that should be somewhere in the range of 20db - 30db
  • Unplug the router and run the test again and see if there is a noticeable signal change indicating router drain

3.) Move the router to bedroom coax so its just the router in bedroom and living room (without the splitter) and see if the problem still exists.

If you still have issues after these changes then we can replace the router.  I have sent you a private message to collect your information to assist beyond the steps mentioned above.

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Router breaks some TV channels
Ucamuk1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mike-

I am also experiencing severe pixelation and sound drops on and off during the day.  I will try powering down the router the next time it occurs as a troubleshooting step.

However, I am curious.........if I find the router is to blame, and decide to reset it, will any of the settings have to be adjusted after the reset?

Tnx

0 Likes