Is the best resource for the various configurations.
Depending on how the Field tech connected your FiOS though, you may not be able to connect a router in front of the actiontec, but perhaps after. The only way for you to hook it up in front of the actiontec (and if you can do this set up, you might as well just get rid of the actiontec, because it won't be neccessary to have the two) is if the technician hooked up the main box (ONT) as ethernet, instead of MOCA for the internet/data
If they did not do that and they instead hooked it up as MOCA (which I would say is 95% of their installs) then you will have to home run a ethernet connection from the main box, to your router, and call verizon and have them switch it via software to ethernet.
I would like to put a router in front of the Fios router (to take advantage of 1000mb capability) Does anyone have procedure on how to do this? Verizon--> Cisco Router --> Fios Router --> TV
It works fine here. But you will not be able to use some of the FIOS TV features, such as remote access to the DVR. You will need the Ethernet IP port enabled on the ONT.
I have my Actiontec used as a bridge only for MOCA to the STBs and for wireless. I have set my Actiontec with DHCP off and an address that does not conflict with my Router. Connected LAN to LAN between my router and Actionetc. My router is a Linux Box running IP-Cop Linux. OLD PC with 512meg memory, 80gig drive, and two network ports. Works great.
You can connect Wan on the Actiontec to LAN on your router, but then you have two networks that will not allow your router to talk to wireless items or the STB.
There are many ways to do this. But remember these items.
1. DO NOT look for Verizon to support this.
2. You must have Ethernet turned on at the ONT with an Ethernet cable to your router.
3. If switching routers around. Make the Actiontec work with Ethernet WAN port first! Test and retest everything.
4. If you are in and area that issues IPs to your router through DHCP, great. If your area uses PPPOE then password and user name is verizonfios.
5. Your STBs must still have access to the internet through the coax. NIM-100 or Actiontec.
6. Always be ready to put the Actiontec back to the Default configuration and connections if calling for support.