SD Multi-Room DVR & HD STB?
jltayl213
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have a SD Multi-Room DVR & 2 SD STBs. We want to add another STB & would prefer to make it a HD box. However, we want to ensure that we can watch programs recorded on the SD DVR. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SD Multi-Room DVR & HD STB?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The hd boxes do both hd and sd, and they will be able to watch SD recordings.   The SD box can't see HD so it will never record HD for the hd box, but anything you normally watch today, you should be able to watch with the new box, no problem. 

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

The hd boxes do both hd and sd, and they will be able to watch SD recordings.   The SD box can't see HD so it will never record HD for the hd box, but anything you normally watch today, you should be able to watch with the new box, no problem. 

jltayl213
Enthusiast - Level 2
Excellent! Thanks for the quick response.
PJL
Master - Level 3

What model DVR do you have?  I thought all DVRs were HD.

0 Likes
jltayl213
Enthusiast - Level 2
I don't remember the model off hand but most of our TVs are still SD so we haven't made the jump to an HD DVR.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

2708    it was there first dvr, and had like an 80 gb hard drive   

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@JeffLT wrote:
I don't remember the model off hand but most of our TVs are still SD so we haven't made the jump to an HD DVR.

Other than possible price differences, there is no reason not to switch to a HD DVR and HD STB's.  They all can output to SD boxes, downconverting any HD pictures to SD.  In general a HD picture will often still look better in SD than the Broadcast SD picture.  Also some channels are only available in a HD flavor.

0 Likes