Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

SET TOP BOX MAKING NOISE

TCON77
Contributor
Contributor

SET TOP BOX MAKING NOISE

Message 1 of 3
(10,505 Views)

MY LIVING ROOM SET TOP BOX CONSTANTLY MAKES A LOUD RUNNING NOISE.   iS THIS A SIGN THAT IT IS FAILING ?

2 REPLIES 2
lacticacidtrip
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Re: SET TOP BOX MAKING NOISE

Message 2 of 3
(10,457 Views)

If your living room STB is a DVR, it has a hard drive inside that is running 24 / 7. This drive can make a whirring or sometimes whining noise. The level of ambient noise in a room and your own hearing acuity can determine whether or not you notice the drive operating. If you're new to DVR's (or just got a new pair of hearing aids), you may just be noticing this noise for the first time. However if you've had the DVR for a while and it is getting unusually loud or can be heard while you are watching something, this is not a good sign and your drive may indeed be on its way out.

If I were you I would only be concerned if :

• It is loud enough that it is disturbing me while I'm trying to watch TV or am otherwise distracted.
  • It starts smelling unusually hot.
  • My recordings start to fail or my DVR stops functioning.

In any of these events, I would contact Verizon to get a replacement.

Find this post helpful, informative or just something you agree with? Click the red ‘thumbs-up’ button.
Did this post solve your problem? Click the green ‘Accept as Solution’ button.

tns2
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: SET TOP BOX MAKING NOISE

Message 3 of 3
(10,433 Views)

Also do you have the box with proper ventalation (space) around it and not closed in.  Box will get noiser if it is getting overheated.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.