STB Instability
Woodworker
I have a Motorola QIP 6416-2 STB that has to be reset frequently. In the three weeks we've had it, I have had to unplug it 6 or 7 times to reset it. Is this common?
0 Likes
Re: STB Instability
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3
It is a symptom that your box is not receiving reliable data from your network.  I struggled with the same problem - box would lock up about every 8-12 hours.  It turns out that using my already installed coax distribution system was the problem.  The splitters were not good to 1Ghz, which they have to be for FIOS Program Guide info and Home Media functions (standard coax distribution systems for cable frequently use splitters only good up to 600 or 900 MHz), a number of my coax connectors were under a lot of strain - they were replaced with crimped connectors and provided some slack, and one length of coax running through an inaccessible wall was simply intermittent - seemed fine when the tech sent a test signal, but still resulted in locked-up box regularly.  Since eliminating the unnecessary splitters, replacing the rest with 1Ghz-pass-through types, replacing all of the coax connectors and that one run of coax cabling, all has been well.
Message Edited by CapnTrips on 09-16-2008 01:24 PM
0 Likes
Woodworker
The only part of he previous DirecTV system is the cable that now runs from the FIOS box to the STB. The only splitter that is being used was supplied by Verizon. There is one coax connector under the house, and one where the coax cable comes from the wall. I probably crimped the connectors  myself. I have three questions:  1. Should I replace the coax that was formerly used by DirecTV? 2. Should I replace the short coax with a commercial one? 3. Should I replace the cables with one continuous one that runs from the FOS box directly to the STB box?  I would really appreciate any input that you have.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The answer is not so simple. Yes one continuous piece of coax is better than a barreled piece of coax but if the signal getting to the box is good it doesn't really matter. You should have no more than 1 barrel between the splitter and the box. All splitters have to be rated up to 1 Ghz. You should also be using RG6 coax. The RG59 is not that great at high frequencies. If you crimped the ends that would be the first place I would look.
0 Likes
ddrager
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a quick question: What does the DVR do that you need to reset it? Is it locked up on a screen or just unresponsive?

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3
I don't know about woodworker, but in my case the STB locked up:  was unresponsive to any command, whether from the remote or directly from the front panel, and the front display froze the time displayed.
Message Edited by CapnTrips on 09-17-2008 09:58 AM
0 Likes
ddrager
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a recommendation - If the FiOS techs installed it, they probably did a signal check on your cable, at least mine did. If that is the case, I would suspect the box and would try to get it replaced. However, if they mailed you the box and you installed it yourself, I would try using it with a direct connection if possible, and see if you get the lockups. If that fixes the problem, you know your issue is with the cable or splitters. If it still locks up, then you can replace the box.

I know my tech also mentioned that the signal can be too 'hot' on a short run - but I will leave it to others to determine if that could be a problem in your situation.

0 Likes
Woodworker
A series of dashes appear on the STB, and no buttons on the remote control or the STB are responsive. After I unplug the box and wait a about 30 seconds before replugging it, the STB takes a  minute or so to resent. Everything is fine until the next time.
0 Likes
Woodworker
FIOS techs did the installation, and the signal strength was excellent. If the lock-up continues, I'll contact Verizon before I attempt to replace the coax. Thanks to all who responded.
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3
Signal strength in my case was also measured and deemed "excellent".  Yet I had a bad cable just the same.  Apparently the signal strength they measure may not cover the whole spectrum of frequencies up through the 1GHz Internet signals that the box uses for IPG and Media Center functions.
0 Likes