STB Sending ARP requests every 9 minutes
Shawn
Enthusiast - Level 2
IS there a particular reason that I keep getting ARP requests from the STB even though it has been assigned an IP?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STB Sending ARP requests every 9 minutes
Shawn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I took my router off the network when yours came in the door.

The detection is from Outpost firewall on my PC.

Like I said, its all behind the firewall of your router.

I dont want to alarm people or make acusations of Verizons security.

I do know though, hardly any router that is ever made is set up correctly at default and usually requires some advanced config to secure properly.

I am fine with using just the Fios router and not mine.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
Read this Shawn, There is traffic other than the ip address the set top box has recieved  CLICK HERE.  If you made modifications to the router or are using your own it may be blocking the Moca devices trying to talk to each other...One establishes itself as a master while the others act as nodes...imagine it like this.   The main ip address allows your set top boxes to recieve Vod and channel guides.  It also gives Verizon a way to address your boxes if we need to test them.  Mean while the other layer of addresses allow the boxes to take care of their business internally.
0 Likes
Shawn
Enthusiast - Level 2
So there is no way to route that correctly?

I mean, I havent blocked any of that traffic.

I used to use a different router with my old service and well you guys supply one.

Since I have a new router now, I wanted to check how well the firewall was set up and if there was any automatic anti-spoofing on the router or if I had to set it up myself.

So with feeling insecure I turned my personal Outpost firewall back on on my computer.

Which is catching that as a spoofing attack of course.

But now my question is, couldnt that traffic be routed appropriately?

IT doesnt seem like a big deal, just a little messy.

And this thread is easily applying to FIOS INTERNET more and more as we talk.

Form what I get its the STB's looking for the DVR.

What would happen if you blocked that info coming across the bridge or routed the info appropriately vs blocking it.

Does it have to come across the bridge and if so why?

Form the looks of things I could definitely keep that on the coax side of things vs having it run across the bridge.

My comp recognizes it as spoofing but the router doesnt of course because its all behind the router.

Maybe you could help me further or someone else in defining the design of that communication.

Again its harmless and not a big deal its more curiosity than anything else at this point.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

To be honest Shawn, Re-engineering our network is not my specialty.  Your mentioning of  "I could definitely keep that on the coax side of things vs having it run across the bridge"  doesn't tell me much about your configuration. 

Either you have our router first or youu have your router first in line from our Ont.  Also, is your router being fed by coax or ethernet?  Regardless; only one router should be supplying the dhcp to the stb's and computers.  If you think you can isolate the communication between the stb's across moca only, give it a try. 

Regarding any insecurity, From what I understand about our Actiontec routers, it uses Stateful Packet inspection firewall architecture which works great at the network layer.  If your wondering how vunerable your network is by the outside world there are sites that you can go to which can probe your connection and tell you where your vunerabilities lie.

0 Likes
Shawn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I took my router off the network when yours came in the door.

The detection is from Outpost firewall on my PC.

Like I said, its all behind the firewall of your router.

I dont want to alarm people or make acusations of Verizons security.

I do know though, hardly any router that is ever made is set up correctly at default and usually requires some advanced config to secure properly.

I am fine with using just the Fios router and not mine.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes