Re: STB WAN fail - no guide info - Some Final Suggestions
destman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Justin for the highly detailed response and for addressing my configuration.  I went through the config just to double check everything.

Ethernet status showed connected (also made absolutely sure by pulling the coax out of the router and making sure i still have internet - i did).  Coax WAN was not disabled, so I disabled that, power cycled everything, but that did not fix it.

One thing that I notice as different on the connection settings page is that for me it's set to Obtain an IP address automatically.  For you it was set to "No IP Addresss".  If I use that option I lose connectivity.  Power cycling the router also makes that setting revert to obtaining IP automatically.

Everything else looks exactly the same as you setup.

Main screen with connection status

In the logs, the only thing that seems to be related to STBs are entries like this:

Dec 22 09:10:13 2012System LogLAN DHCPDHCP LAN Connection IP:192.168.1.101, DNS:192.168.1.1, GTW:192.168.1.1,Subnet:255.255.255.0 (Ethernet)

I'm really not sure what it can be.  Also, one thing to note is that when my internet switched over initially, I kept the same router with the same exact settings that worked before.  The FIOS tech did run some software to "check" everything, so maybe that messed something up.

Right now I have a new router which the tech support sent to me because he couldn't come up with any better solution.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond so thoroughly!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Well unfortunately I pretty much don't have any more ideas. I still feel it is something in the router, but I don't have a clue what it might be.

I think the reason for the difference in the Internet Protocol setting is that you are connected using DHCP and I am using PPPoE, which is what Verizon initially used when FiOS first started.

Regarding the Guide, the STBs normally cache about 7 or 8 days worth of Guide data, so the loss of data showing up about a week after the change makes sense.

Have you tried using the reset button on the back of the router? My experience with FiOS routers is that they work just fine for the simple configurations like you have, so you might try setting it back to the factory settings, then reboot everything again and see what happens. Can't be much worse than it is now, right? Besides, if you get a new router, that is what it will have configured.

Good luck. If you come up with any other info that you think might give one of us a better clue, please come back  with it. And when you do get it fixed, please do let us know what the solution is, we are curious. Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
destman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried resetting my original router, and then I replaced it with a new router that Verizon sent me, so unfortunately that was not it either.

I can only suspect there is some obscure setting that is preventing data from reaching the STBs .  I guess I will try to setup some packet sniffer to see if anything stands out.

I anyone else has an idea of has run into a similar issue, please let me know.  Otherwise, if I figure out a solution, I will certainly post back here.

0 Likes
destman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, did some packet sniffing, and a few more google searches and it seems that there is some traffic involving the boxes on the moca network using the private 169 network?

I get stuff like this:

30287    2172.885612000    169.254.1.193    169.254.1.255    UDP    60    Source port: 51275  Destination port: 5000[Malformed Packet]

30289    2174.001668000    169.254.1.183    169.254.1.255    UDP    78    Source port: silhouette  Destination port: silhouette

30410    2220.933124000    169.254.1.183    255.255.255.255    UDP    1174    Source port: 21302  Destination port: 21302

Seems like all the requests are coming from 169.254.1.183 and 169.254.1.193 and the destinations are usually 169.254.1.255 and sometimes 255.255.255.255 (which doesn't really make sense).  The same messages are repeated over and over.

0 Likes
destman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, after another call to Verizon tech support (number 4 i think), the problem is now SOLVED.

When I got a tech on the line, I kept insisting that I only want to deal with Tier 3 support since it's clear that Tier 1 can't help, and I've already tried everything possible on my end and that there HAS to be a bad setting on their end.

I got connected to a supervisor (tier 3) and after about 15 minutes of them working with the network techs they determined that my DATA account was not linked to my VIDEO account after my switch from business.  Once they fixed it, and I power cycled the router and the boxes, everything is back to working normally and they gave me $20 off my monthly bill to say "sorry for the hassle".

Even though the problem was not with my setup, thanks again for all the advice I received on this board.

Justin46
Legend

@destman wrote:

Well, after another call to Verizon tech support (number 4 i think), the problem is now SOLVED.

When I got a tech on the line, I kept insisting that I only want to deal with Tier 3 support since it's clear that Tier 1 can't help, and I've already tried everything possible on my end and that there HAS to be a bad setting on their end.

I got connected to a supervisor (tier 3) and after about 15 minutes of them working with the network techs they determined that my DATA account was not linked to my VIDEO account after my switch from business.  Once they fixed it, and I power cycled the router and the boxes, everything is back to working normally and they gave me $20 off my monthly bill to say "sorry for the hassle".

Even though the problem was not with my setup, thanks again for all the advice I received on this board.

Great News! Glad to hear it is fixed. And thanks for coming back and telling us what it was, and for marking the problem solved, wish more poeple would do that.

Keller, TX 76248

Re: STB WAN fail - no guide info - Solved!
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

Justin wrote:

destman wrote:

... the problem is now SOLVED ... my DATA account was not linked to my VIDEO account ... Once they fixed it ... everything is back to working normally ... thanks again for all the advice I received on this board.

Great News! Glad to hear it is fixed. And thanks for coming back and telling us what it was ...

I echo Justin's comments, and am glad to learn that you resolved the issue.  A dogged effort, with successful results.  I'd also like to know more about "linking a DATA account to a VIDEO account."  For example, (1) how might a user determine that this incorrect situation exists using equipment in the home (aside from the obvious lack of programming data), and (2) is this "link" indicated in the STB or router settings?

ADDED COMMENT:  See post immediately following.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

armond_in_nj wrote:

I'd also like to know more about "linking a DATA account to a VIDEO account."  For example, (1) how might a user determine that this incorrect situation exists using equipment in the home (aside from the obvious lack of programming data), and (2) is this "link" indicated in the STB or router settings?

After thinking about this for a few minutes I suspect the answer to my own question is obvious.  Evidently having "data and video account linked" means that both the data (Internet) account and the video (FiOS TV) account are both billed and provisioned to the same user account, and thus "linked."  I suspect further that a user with this issue could go to the MyVerizon pages and under My Services, he could determine whether all  the appropriate services are listed correctly.

Must say I found the terminology initially confusing.  In any case, good viewing to the OP.

0 Likes
destman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I'm not sure there is an easy way to tell if the accounts are linked or not.  This is likely not a common problem, and happened to me since I used to have business internet.  They probably had a special setting in their system to link my residential video account to my business data.

Once I switched over to residential, even thought they created all the services under the correct account, the old setting remained in place.

I don't know much more than that, but I do know that it took a tech supervisor reaching out to the network team to figure out the issue.  The problem was so deep in Verizon's internal system that it would likely be impossible to detect without getting them to look it up directly pn their end.

0 Likes