STB doesn't respond to remote
Ribeye1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been a FiOS customer for less than a year and I'm on my third VZ supplied remote and second STB.  The STB will not respond to the remote - I'm not talking about the slow/delayed response commonly seen, I'm talking about NO response with only a few random times when it will work.  The remote can change TV volume, channel, and menu options without any problem.  I've tried changing the batteries, adding an IR extender, turning off the TV and changing the channels to see if the TV was interfering with the remote, viewing the IR LED with a camera to ensure the LED is actually working (it is-I can see it pulsing), removing the plastic in front  of the LED, and placing both the remote and STB in a dark box and trying to change the channel.  The STB is not acknowledging button presses on the remote, and the remote (all three actually) are functional per the tests above. 

I've read the threads regarding plasma TV interfering with the remote, but my STB/remote in a box test and TV off STB on test both result in the same problems.  

The only way to control the STB is via my mobile phone, which is not convenient.  Any thoughts? I really don't want to downgrade to a different box (currently on the CHS 7xxx).    

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: STB doesn't respond to remote
cdd1

When  first got FIOS, the remote would not work for my multi room DVR in the media room. I switched boxes and remotes with the upstairs box. They worked flawlessly when upstairs! Then I read somewher that the lighting in the room affects the remote signal. Put a Post-It over the IR on the box. That's ridiculus. But..IT WORKED!

To test, turn the lights down or off in the room with the un-responsive box and see if the remote works. Drawback s when I turn the lights down low to watch movies, I need to remove the Post-It for Box responce, but thats rare

0 Likes
Re: STB doesn't respond to remote
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Bad remote (less likely since you say TV controls work).  Bad sensor on STB.  The other common problems are interference with the IR, which you say you addressed such as line of sight from remote to STB sensor.  Various TV's, both PLASMA and LCD/LED, do often interfere, and there are a few other devices reported to interfere. 

Try another remote, you can ask for a free one if you don't have one handy.  Next thing after that is report the box as bad and get a replacement.

0 Likes