STB exchange program
burtech
Enthusiast - Level 1

Last week i recieved a postcard for Verizon FIOS to run set top exchange app in customer support in the menu option of my fios tv.  When I did so, it identified one HD-STB for exchange from the two I have.  The STB identified was a 6200-2 box.  So I place a order to swap out this box and they sent me a 7100-2 HD-STB box. 

The problem with the new 7100 box is that it have no display on the front panel to tell me the time or channel.  In addition, this box does not have a switched outlet, something I need as i have a infered audio transmitter hooked up so I can listen to the TV in bed with hy headphones on while my wife is asleep. 

My question then is:

(1) is why was this swap-out needed on this perticular HD STB box,

(2) is there a 7100-x available with a switched outlet as the original 6200-2 Ihad,

(3) is there a 7100-x available with a lighted display panel, and

(4) what issues do i face if I do not make this swap from the 6200-2 to the 7100-2?

Your responses and comments would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: STB exchange program
PJL
Master - Level 3

@burtech wrote:

Last week i recieved a postcard for Verizon FIOS to run set top exchange app in customer support in the menu option of my fios tv.  When I did so, it identified one HD-STB for exchange from the two I have.  The STB identified was a 6200-2 box.  So I place a order to swap out this box and they sent me a 7100-2 HD-STB box. 

The problem with the new 7100 box is that it have no display on the front panel to tell me the time or channel.  In addition, this box does not have a switched outlet, something I need as i have a infered audio transmitter hooked up so I can listen to the TV in bed with hy headphones on while my wife is asleep. 

My question then is:

(1) is why was this swap-out needed on this perticular HD STB box,

(2) is there a 7100-x available with a switched outlet as the original 6200-2 Ihad,

(3) is there a 7100-x available with a lighted display panel, and

(4) what issues do i face if I do not make this swap from the 6200-2 to the 7100-2?

Your responses and comments would be appreciated.

1. The STB menu screens explained to you that certain channels are moving to MPEG4 compression.  You 6200-2 STB does not support MPEG4 so it had to be replaced with a 7XXX STB which does or you would lose channels.

2. No. 

3. Maybe, but you get what you get -- it's nearly impossible to get a specific model STB unless you go to a local store for an exchange, and that is not always successful.

4. You will lose channels and will not be able to get the HD channels that they will be adding that are MPEG4.

0 Likes
avemaria92
Contributor - Level 1

you can request (i think) the qip 7100-p1, which is similar to the 7100-p2..  here is what the p1 looks like

http://www.motorola.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-Site/Sites-Motorola_US-Library/default/v133787199...

QIP-7100 P1 is an older large silver box but also has a clock and display. The P2 model is black, much smaller but no display. Also the P2 is Energy Star rated if I remember correctly. The P2 model is also a little faster to respond to remote commands.

so the p2 is basically a little faster but it's scaled down for energy savings..  they're both HD boxes

that's one thing that frustrates me though.. Verizon boasts such a good service and experience.. but they leave off giving us the option of which box we want in our homes.. even if it comes down to choosing color.. i don't know about others but for me it's annoying having a bright silver box sitting on my shelf when everything else is black..   give people a choice, and whichever one is less requested, then scale down production on that one..

can you hook the transmitter up to the TV itself, similar to a soundbar?  then you could just switch channels to go back and forth from your main sound system or tv to the headphones.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@avemaria92 wrote:

... that's one thing that frustrates me though ... Verizon boasts such a good service and experience.. but they leave off giving us the option of which box we want in our homes.. even if it comes down to choosing color.. i don't know about others but for me it's annoying having a bright silver box sitting on my shelf when everything else is black ...

Interesting complaint.  Yet somehow I suspect that many folks are more interested in getting the equipment they already have to work well.  All my "stuff" works, and I'm certainly not messin' with any of it.

0 Likes
Swampscottman

Regarding the lack of a switched power outlet - I have sffered the same issue ....but my replacement 7332 box (supposedly "top of the line" is missing this facility.

I also used the outlet on my old 6416 box to power and integrate my sound system.

Technicians at Verizon tell me there is no alternative as the new STBs do not have the auxilliary power outlet.

Upgrade?.....No, definitely "downgraded"!

0 Likes
Skymatone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Basically, the only option we have is use this downgraded service & be forever dissatisfied or go elsewhere.  Verizon doesn't seem to care that I relied on the features of the previous STB, just that we are to use the new one & like it.  I dont remember asking for these features, like the audio switch & the display clock, to be removed, they took that upon themselves!

0 Likes
DaveP3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had to upgrade to the new STB when my old one quit working.  I also complained about the lack of a front display, and was told that more customers wanted to go green.  The new box comes with energy star rating.  I also noticed the lack of a switched power outlet, but it's not a concern for me as this is my second TV.

0 Likes
EJRW
Contributor - Level 1

FYI, there might be an external solution for the missing switched outlet. There are some power strips out there with "smart plugs", plugs that turn on when power is detected at another plug in the strip. 

The thing I don't know is what "constitutes" power at the controlling outlet, i.e. the outlet you would plug the STB box in. Since the STB is always drawing some power, the detection would have to be based on an increased amperage draw, not any current. I don't know if a STB that is "on" draws more power than when it is in standby mode. 

Assuming the STB can control the smart plug, you could create your switched outlet with such a strip. 

Search "smart plug strip" for more info. At Amazon they have models as low as $12 (wall plug), bona fide "strips" start at around $25. 

BTW, I came here (the subject caught my eye) because I'm very unhappy with my newly installed QIP 6416. I'm quite disappointed with it's paltry 160GB hard drive. I'm was hoping to DirecTV, but am reconsidering as my HR22 has a 500GB hard drive

Anyone ever get their MRDVR upgraded upon install? I'm just not sure the 160GB drive is going to cut it. 

Thanks,

Eric

0 Likes