STB gets no IP after MoCA install...help?
fshannon3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last week I bought a Blu-ray DVD player with network streaming capabilities (can stream Netflix, other online services, etc).  I currently have one of the HD set-top boxes for FiOS.

Initially I was thinking I'd run a network cable from my VZ router to the Blu-ray player...it would've been about 50 feet or so of cable.

My dad gave me a Motorola MoCA adapter to use instead so I hooked that up.  I ran the main coax line into the MoCA, then another coax (smaller gauge, could be RG-59) out of the MoCA into the STB.  Then ran a network cable from the MoCA to the Blu-ray player.

I can get all the network services on the Blu-ray, but my STB does not get the OnDemand service anymore, nor the channel guide.  The STB doesn't even have an IP address.  I can watch TV though.

Any ideas as to what's wrong?  Is the MoCA not working properly?  Could using an RG-6 from the MoCA to the STB help?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STB gets no IP after MoCA install...help?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The signal on the other side of the MoCA adapter doesn't carry the digital signals.

The correct way to do this is:

Cable from Wall -> High Quality Splitter (rated for 5-1000mhz / i.e. digital)

Splitter "A" output --> MoCA  (you may need a terminator on the MoCA output depending on the model - looks like a Coax connector but with no cable coming out of it)

Splitter "B" output -> STB

You can get a splitter at your favorite local electronics / big box store if you don't happen to already have one laying around.   The terminator probably came in the box with the MoCA adapter or was on the output before you started hooking things up and you removed it.

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The output from the Moto MoCA adpter (I'm assuming you mean a NIM-100) does not pass MoCA signals.  In order to do what you want you need to split the signal in front of the adapter and connect the outputs to the adapter and STB input.

fshannon3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ah, thanks...I'll go pick up a splitter and cable today and try that out.  Will post results this evening.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The signal on the other side of the MoCA adapter doesn't carry the digital signals.

The correct way to do this is:

Cable from Wall -> High Quality Splitter (rated for 5-1000mhz / i.e. digital)

Splitter "A" output --> MoCA  (you may need a terminator on the MoCA output depending on the model - looks like a Coax connector but with no cable coming out of it)

Splitter "B" output -> STB

You can get a splitter at your favorite local electronics / big box store if you don't happen to already have one laying around.   The terminator probably came in the box with the MoCA adapter or was on the output before you started hooking things up and you removed it.

fshannon3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm up and running now.  Bought a splitter, put it before the MoCA and ran one cable out to the STB...I've got the program guide and VOD back.

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes