STB intermittently prompts “reboot media client”
PeterMontclair

One of my TV’s intermittently but often freezes and displays “reboot media client.” Usually unfreezes a few seconds later. Other TVs are fine. Rebooting the STB does not clear the problem. Rebooting server and router also does nothing. Might fix the issue temporarily but it returns. Happens nearly every day. Cannot be reliably reproduced for technical support. . Very frustrating. Almost ready to cancel cable service and just use streaming services. Any ideas? Will upgrading equipment solve this? Please help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STB intermittently prompts “reboot media client”
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PeterMontclair wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions. I’ve tried

everything you listed. 

The box giving the trouble is IPC 1100P2.

i upgraded equipment about 2 years ago. The installation was in 2007. I assume original splitters but technicians have been here several times over the years, so I don’t know. All connections are tight and I did reboot the ONT. The SNR reads “GOOD”. Sometimes this happens constantly, sometimes I can go days without it happening. 

Since it’s intermittent, I didn’t want to deal with lengthily tech support calls, but unless you have an idea how to troubleshoot more, I guess I’ll have to.

If you have more than 1 IPC, try swapping their locations. If the trouble follows the box, you probably have a bad box and need to get it replaced. If it stays at the location, your wiring or splitter is suspect. I'd replace the splitter first, then look at the wiring. If you only have 1 IPC, try swapping it and the VMS and see what happens. If the problem moves with the IPC you have to get it replaced. If it happens with the VMS it is a wiring or splitter issue.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PeterMontclair wrote:

One of my TV’s intermittently but often freezes and displays “reboot media client.” Usually unfreezes a few seconds later. Other TVs are fine. Rebooting the STB does not clear the problem. Rebooting server and router also does nothing. Might fix the issue temporarily but it returns. Happens nearly every day. Cannot be reliably reproduced for technical support. . Very frustrating. Almost ready to cancel cable service and just use streaming services. Any ideas? Will upgrading equipment solve this? Please help.

Which boxes do you have, how many, how old is the installation? Are there original splitters? Have you tried checking ALL coax connections to make sure they are clean and tight? Have you tried rebooting the ONT? Did you check: Main Menu > Settings > System Information and looked at the SNR Level under the Channnel Info and the OOB info?

PeterMontclair

everything you listed. 

i upgraded equipment about 2 years ago. The installation was in 2007. I assume original splitters but technicians have been here several times over the years, so I don’t know. All connections are tight and I did reboot the ONT. The SNR reads “GOOD”. Sometimes this happens constantly, sometimes I can go days without it happening. 

Since it’s intermittent, I didn’t want to deal with lengthily tech support calls, but unless you have an idea how to troubleshoot more, I guess I’ll have to.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PeterMontclair wrote:

everything you listed. 

If you have more than 1 IPC, try swapping their locations. If the trouble follows the box, you probably have a bad box and need to get it replaced. If it stays at the location, your wiring or splitter is suspect. I'd replace the splitter first, then look at the wiring. If you only have 1 IPC, try swapping it and the VMS and see what happens. If the problem moves with the IPC you have to get it replaced. If it happens with the VMS it is a wiring or splitter issue.