STB is suddenly not responding to the remotes. Please Help!
Sparkman123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have two STBs the non-DVR is a model CHS335HDC and I have two remotes for this box. Both of my remotes have suddenly stopped working on my non-DVR STB but they both still work on my DVR STB. I tried resetting the non-DVR STB by unplugging the power, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging it back in. The STB started up but the remotes still don't work. I also tried resetting the remote to no avail. I can still control the STB via the buttons on the front but the remotes don't work.  On the advice of a FIOS tech I have switch from the HDMI connection to a component but it hasn't helped.

I've only had FIOS service for a couple of months and I've had several problems!  I'm getting very frustrated!

PLEASE HELP!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STB is suddenly not responding to the remotes. Please Help!
PJL
Master - Level 3

The problem of IR interference from TVs can sometimes be temperature dependent, which could explain why your problem is intermittent.  I have a Sharp LCD that will interfer with the remote when the room is cold and the TV is just warming up.  I lowered the backlight settings some and the problem went away.  Plasma interference is more difficult to solve but is usually consistent, not intermittent.

You could also try moving the STB away from the TV or shielding the STB IR receiver from the TV to see if this helps.

View solution in original post

abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

Did you make any new changes to your room? Install new TV or anything new at all? Something could be causing IR interference if IR port on stb is not dead completely.

Unplug TV from power but keep stb on. Try changing channels with the remote and see if the stb display shows that channels are changing or not. If channels change, TV causing IR interference.

If channels not changing, try auto fix from stb menu. If no fix, get it replaced.

Sparkman123
Enthusiast - Level 2

abhi_col,  Thanks for your advice!  I got home today anxious to try your suggestion to unplug the TV but now the remotes are working again.  This issue is very sporadic, sometimes I can go several days without any problems.

Since the problem doesn't seem to affect the DVR do you think it's worth it to switch the STB's to see if the issue remains with the TV?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

The problem of IR interference from TVs can sometimes be temperature dependent, which could explain why your problem is intermittent.  I have a Sharp LCD that will interfer with the remote when the room is cold and the TV is just warming up.  I lowered the backlight settings some and the problem went away.  Plasma interference is more difficult to solve but is usually consistent, not intermittent.

You could also try moving the STB away from the TV or shielding the STB IR receiver from the TV to see if this helps.

Sparkman123
Enthusiast - Level 2

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

PJL,  Your comments about the backlighting on your Sharp TV really hit home with me because I also have a Sharp Aquos.

I tried that adjustment but it didn't seem to make much difference, but it led me to think about other lights in the room.

I have a table lamp with a dimmable CFL and noticed that if the lamp was turned all the way up the remote worked fine.

If I dimmed the lamp to about 50% the remote became unresponsive.  I tested this several times with consistent results!

Thank you very much for leading me in the right direction.Smiley Very Happy

PJL
Master - Level 3

@Sparkman123 wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

PJL,  Your comments about the backlighting on your Sharp TV really hit home with me because I also have a Sharp Aquos.

I tried that adjustment but it didn't seem to make much difference, but it led me to think about other lights in the room.

I have a table lamp with a dimmable CFL and noticed that if the lamp was turned all the way up the remote worked fine.

If I dimmed the lamp to about 50% the remote became unresponsive.  I tested this several times with consistent results!

Thank you very much for leading me in the right direction.Smiley Very Happy

I'm glad I was able to help.  And the additional problems with CFLs is now a known cause too.  The dimming issue is likely related to the CLF cycling at a frequency that is interfering with the IR pulses when the CFL is dimmed.  (Dimming is actually a cyling that reduces apparent brightness.)  By the way, there are many posts on IR interference both on this forum and on other forums available via Internet search for future reference.

0 Likes
ColonelT

I discovered that a bright kitchen overhead LED floodlight was the culprit.  Turning off the light or as someone else suggested, putting a sticky-note over the IR sensor, totally fixed the issue!  Now for a "prettier" solution than a sticky-note....  🙂

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes