STB keeps rebooting
Sameer

I have had this issue for 6 weeks ever since VZ pushed the IMG upgrade. The FIOS tech support people have had me do all kinds of things like reset the box, change power cords and change power outlets. I have had multiple boxes shipped out to me and the problem does not go away.

The box keeps rebooting whether you are watching TV or not. I have not been able to watch an hour of TV without my HD box rebooting. I have another SD STB and it keeps getting frozen. The only way to watch this TV is to pull the power plug on the TSB and let it reboot.

Does anyone have any ideas on a fix. VZ tech support is unhelpful. They keep shipping me new STBs (wrong ones - I request a 7216 and they keep shipping 6416) and there is no difference.

I am about ready to call VZ and tell them to pull their crap out so that I can switch back to Dish Network or maybe Direct TV or Comcast. 

0 Likes
Re: STB keeps rebooting
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Sameer,

When we replaced the box did the Tech hang out for an hour and see if it did that again?

0 Likes
Sameer
Yes. The tech was at my house for almost 4 hrs. After the box was replaced we tried out everything - switching channels, using DVR, using On-Demand and no issues. Then within 2 days it started happenning again.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Just a crazy thought - do you have a UPS (uninterruptible power supply, not United Parcel Service Smiley Very Happy )? Preferably one with voltage regulation.  I have found that the Motorola boxes are sensitive to line voltage variations.  Worth a try if you have one on hand to plug the STB into.
0 Likes
Sameer
I have moved the box to 3 different outlets based on the feedback from Tech Support. Your idea is worth a try.
0 Likes
BobW7074
I have had the same problem with my Verizon Motorola HD STB rebooting itself......right in the middle of watching TV.  It does this about 3-4 times a day......very frustrating.  Tried re-setting several times, but did not solve the problem.  I don't know if it is shutting off because of the electronic circuitry protection or what.  Not overheating....or should not be...plenty of room around the STB for ventilation.  I guess it could be because of voltage issues????  Any help would be appreciated.
0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2
I had the same problem with the 7216 and they sent me a 6416.  Things have been stable since I made the change.  Are you correct to say that you've had the same problem regardless if you have either unit?  I would be curious what your cable signal is you are receiving on the STB.  Maybe a weak signal?
0 Likes
mmoris5820
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same problem with previous STB(s).  Verizon changed them out a couple of time before the problem went away.

Also, one of my STB's is plugged into a power conditioner and that one did randomly as did my other two STB's that weren't on a power conditioner, so the power was not the problem.  Also, I don't believe that the signal strength has anything to do with a STB rebooting.

My advice is to just keep calling Verizon to replace your STB(s) until you get one that works.

Good luck.

0 Likes