STB needs reboot for network remote control to function....
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I have a 7232-P2 STB/DVR and the FiOS 35/35 plan.  I like to use the FIOS Remote app on my iPhone to manage the DVR.  It works well for a while but periodically the STB needs to be rebooted to get the Remote app working again.

When the problem happens with the Remote app I also cannot manage the DVR via a browser in Win 7 or MacBook Pro OS X, both computers connected via Ethernet to our Actiontec router.

The only thing that works, and the only thing that needs to be done, to get remote programing working again is rebooting the STB.  Rebooting the router or the ONT makes no difference.

I haven't been able to pin down the exact number of days it's taken for this problem to occur but it's happened numerous times.  It's inconvient if I'm home but much worse if we're away and I can't just reboot the box.

Might anyone have a suggestion what I could do to prevent having to reboot periodically to maintain network control of our DVR?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: STB needs reboot for network remote control to function....
PJL
Master - Level 3

@eljefe wrote:

I have a 7232-P2 STB/DVR and the FiOS 35/35 plan.  I like to use the FIOS Remote app on my iPhone to manage the DVR.  It works well for a while but periodically the STB needs to be rebooted to get the Remote app working again.

When the problem happens with the Remote app I also cannot manage the DVR via a browser in Win 7 or MacBook Pro OS X, both computers connected via Ethernet to our Actiontec router.

The only thing that works, and the only thing that needs to be done, to get remote programing working again is rebooting the STB.  Rebooting the router or the ONT makes no difference.

I haven't been able to pin down the exact number of days it's taken for this problem to occur but it's happened numerous times.  It's inconvient if I'm home but much worse if we're away and I can't just reboot the box.

Might anyone have a suggestion what I could do to prevent having to reboot periodically to maintain network control of our DVR?

Thanks in advance.

I would run the STB autocorrection process and the Caller ID troubleshooter (since Caller ID uses some of the same backend processes as remote DVR management) from the STB menu .  Or simply go to the MyVerizon troubleshooter and try that.  Or troubleshoot using In-Home agent.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I had already rebooted the box so the Remote app is back up and running. 

I did just run the Caller ID  troubleshooter and it said it had corrected the problem...although I wasn't having any problem with caller ID. 

Auto-correct / In Home Agent reboots the STB.  As already mentioned, rebooting fixes the problem without any other steps.

I will try those steps again if and when the Remote app problem happens again.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@eljefe wrote:

I had already rebooted the box so the Remote app is back up and running. 

I did just run the Caller ID  troubleshooter and it said it had corrected the problem...although I wasn't having any problem with caller ID. 

Auto-correct / In Home Agent reboots the STB.  As already mentioned, rebooting fixes the problem without any other steps.

I will try those steps again if and when the Remote app problem happens again.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

As I said, there are some backend processes that the Caller ID troubleshooter can fix even though Caller ID may be working.  Auto-correction does much more than reboot the STB.  It's more like reloading software defaults for a computer than simply restarting it.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ok.  I'd already run the Caller ID troubleshooter and I just ran Auto-Correction.

I'll be keeing my fingers crossed that I won't be reporting back the problem returned. Smiley Wink

Thanks again.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Well...no such luck.  After trying all the steps suggested by PJL, today, after a week, I had to once again reboot my STB to get a remote connection to work.  Smiley Sad

I'd be happy to get any other ideas about solving this issue.

0 Likes