Re: STB now has idle power off
Justin46
Legend

@tlb wrote:

>>Justin: Maybe on Cisco boxes?

I have a Cisco CHS 335HDC and via Menu > Settings > Set Top Box, there are 2 pertinent options--IMG 1.9.1:

1. Screen Saver: "no screen saver in standby" and "screen saver in standby"

2. Auto Power-Off: "never", "2 hours", "3 hours", "4 hours"

I have my options set to "no screen saver in standby" and "never"

Justin: I've been meaning to thank you for your "IMG Getting Started" pdf. I found it very helpful. If you ever do an update, you may want to add that for those with a heaing loss who need closed captions to make programming accessible (like me!), that the Cisco stbs (at least the CHS 335HDC), all 6 digital closed caption options ("CC1" through "CC6") display closed captions unlike the Motorola stbs with which only digital closed caption option "CC1" displays closed captions (digital closed caption options "CC2" - "CC6" do not display closed captions) and the display quality of the Motorola stbs' "CC1" digital closed caption option is extremely poor (virtually unreadable) with pixelization of the display text and misproportioned caption text box.

OK, that explains it. I have the Screen Saver setting on Motorola but the Auto Power-Off setting does not exist. I guess that is a hardware feature available only on Cisco boxes.

Thanks for the comment and the suggestion, I very much appreciate them.

I have hearing loss but it is not yet so bad that I need CC. I was aware of how CC works on Motorola (only CC1) but not how the Cisco works, since I don't have Cisco and Verizon does not offer Cisco at all here in North Texas so there is nobody around to visit with regarding Cisco experience. However, when I have looked at CC 1 here on my Motorola DVR (just did it again), the text is very readable, don't know why mine would be different from what you have experienced. I am using an HD TV (almost 8 years old though!) with an HDMI connection, maybe that makes a difference?

I really had high hopes that, if I put that document together, Verizon would take ownership and distribute it, maintain it, etc., but no such luck.

Anyway, glad the mystery (at least a mystery to me) is solved.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>Justin: I guess that is a hardware feature available only on Cisco boxes.

Could well be...

>>Thanks for the comment and the suggestion, I very much appreciate them.

You're welcome...it still boggles my mind and irritates me no end that there is absolutely no Verizon provided documentation.

>>However, when I have looked at CC 1 here on my Motorola DVR (just did it again), the text is very readable, don't know why mine would be different from what you have experienced. I am using an HD TV (almost 8 years old though!) with an HDMI connection, maybe that makes a difference?

I have only seen the Motorola QIP 7100P1 closed caption display and the display quality with digital closed caption using "CC1" is terrible particularly compared to what I was seeing on Comcast with what is effectively a rebranded Motorola stb (and a Scientific Atlanta box before that) and all 6 digital closed caption options work (display captions) on the Comcast stbs. My first experience with FiOS TV was in December 2009 and lasted for a single day as I promptly went back to Comcast because the quality of the closed caption display was so bad.

I recently decided to see if the problem had been fixed by testing using my sister's FiOSTV system--she lives the next building over so it was pretty easy for me to test--because I wanted to take advantage of FiOS triple play pricing as I have FiOS broadband and phone. Cabling--via HDMI or component--is not a factor (tested using each) and my sister's HDTV is just about a year old and my HDTV is about 4 years old so I don't think age of the tv is a factor either.

There is something weird about digital closed caption option 1/CC1 because the display quality issues are not fixed even when one changes the digital font style options. This is true for both Verizon and Comcast stbs although the Verizon Cisco stbs and Comcast stbs digital closed caption option 1/CC1 display quality while not as good as the other digital closed caption options (I usually use option 3/CC3 or 4/CC4--2/CC2 is generally reserved for Spanish closed captions) is significantly better than the Verizon Motorola stbs (at least the QIP 7100P1).

I was told by dslreports Verizon Direct techs that all Verizon stbs functioned in the same way with respect to digital closed captions but that has turned out not to be true because when I went ahead and ordered FiOSTV (I'd figured out a possible workaround), the installer brought in a Cisco box and once the setup was complete and I started testing it, he must have thought I was crazy because I was jumping up and down saying "They work! They work!!!" when I decided to try CC3 and then CC4 and the closed captions displayed. I let the techs at dslreports Verizon Direct forum know what I'd found and they were really surprised as there is nothing in their database about the difference--why does that not surprise me in the least given our experience with Verizon's lack of user documentation...'-}}

I have filed an FCC complaint against Verizon about the fact that all 6 digital closed caption options have not been implemented on the Verizon Motorola stbs which I hope will force Verizon to fix the problem.

>>I really had high hopes that, if I put that document together, Verizon would take ownership and distribute it, maintain it, etc., but no such luck.

That's because Verizon doesn't care at all...

Contributor - Level 1

@walt178 wrote:

What brand/model STB has this feature? 

I see it on my 6416 only.  7232 does not have it.  VHO1.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@bfgcb wrote:

UPDATE: turns out it somehow got a "sleep setting", where it shuts off after 4 hours if idle.

Power Saver Mode. That was added to get the Green Energy Star for the Cisco boxes, but I was not aware of that feature ever being in the Motorola. I do believe that the Cisco hardware did have the Energy Star when it first came out, but I believe it was lost at some point.

0 Likes
Nan2527
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks!

I don't know how it is that this suddenly started happening?  I was away for a few days and came back to find my SetTopBox off.  eeek!  When did it go off?  Have I missed some DVR recordings?  I don't know, but I turned the STB back on.  The next morning, I noticed it off again.  Once I found this thread, I was able to reset the STB Timer to NEVER, but because I've changed nothing about these settings in months, I don't know how it got set to a 4-hour turn-off time?    Very annoying.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@0100010 wrote:

@walt178 wrote:

What brand/model STB has this feature? 

I see it on my 6416 only.  7232 does not have it.  VHO1.

Have it on my Moto 7216 -VHO8.  Just showed up apparently as one of the "backdoor" changes that doesn't change the IMG version- Very annoying.

0 Likes
MADianne1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks so much for the advice - I don't know why my STB changed this - it seems to have been since the iintoduction of the home page and was irritating. Actually I was looking for this in the community and couldn't find it, so I googled it and got the conversation immediately.

0 Likes
5ZVP

This new feature IS a pita!! Also did you know that the cable box uses the same amount of electricity on or off? True  check for yourself.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@5ZVP wrote:

This new feature IS a pita!! Also did you know that the cable box uses the same amount of electricity on or off? True  check for yourself.

Actually, I think a pita feature would be one that you cannot disable if you don't like it.  This one can be disabled.

0 Likes
Alchemist2

I agree with the first complaint, a message comes up about an 'inactivity timer' and after a few minutes the screen goes to the Verizon page where one must press the menu button to get the picture.  This is aggravating to the point that I will cancel all FIOS 'service' if I can not get this rectified within the next two weeks.  9/28/2013

0 Likes