STB on a near constant loop of resetting itself
kangaroo_shoe
Enthusiast - Level 1

Putting this out there in hopes that someone else has gone through it before and have insight for me.  (But I've absolutely had it with the standard tech help script that always ends in 'we're sending another box.')

I'm currently on round 3 of replacement DVRs (7216 and 7232-P2 models) in the last couple of weeks and still no solution.  Even though I have two other boxes in the house that currently work (one 7216 and the other just a 2500)- and I've tried the replacement ones in different locations- the outcome is the same. 

After the intial activation, the new STB works for a short while and then starts randomly rebooting.  The longest I've actually gotten a picture is about an hour, but it's more typical for it to reset itself at least 10-15 times an hour, rarely even completeing the reset before cycling again.

I've done all the usual quick fix stuff.  Reset router, hard STB resets, in-home agent (useless), website tools, checked connections, even replaced the coax hoping for an easy answer.  And let me say (since it's a typical go-to answer) that this is NOT an overheating issue.  The box is free and clear of anything even close to it. 

Every conversation I have with tech support is the exact same pattern of unplug this, reset that, we're sending another box.  Ugh.  (Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?)  I'm just curious how long this has to go on before I can get actually a service call to my house...

Anyway, I was wondering if it was possible this is a signal strength issue or something along those lines?

Is there some super horrible software issue or a hugh batch of bad DVRs?

Any ideas are welcome!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STB on a near constant loop of resetting itself
kangaroo_shoe
Enthusiast - Level 1

As an update to my original post:

I was fortunate enough to get a service technician out to look at the problem today!!  

Various items were replaced during the process of elimination trying to pinpoint issue.  Ended up changing out the router, splitter, and the DVR again, checked cables, jacks, ONT, etc.  Still no luck.  What he said was that for some reason, the set top box wasn't receiving/keeping an IP and that was what probably kept triggering the resets. 

The only thing that ultimately worked was to relocate the router to another room of the house.

Go figure...

Fingers crossed that this fixed it for good.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ianisms
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same issue.  Just got another STB (QIP7100P2).  I get a picture with the new box but, the guide, menu and a slew of other buttons on the remote do nothing.  Also when I hit info I get an ugly grey screen that only allows me to set parental control pin.  My other boxes work fine in the same location.  Must be a botched update?

0 Likes
ianisms
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just received another update and it appears to have resolved my issue with the remote.

0 Likes
saucemanpc

How did you go about getting an update?  Did you have to call?  thanks.

0 Likes
ianisms
Enthusiast - Level 2

I used In-Home-Agent to do an autofix a number of times.  I am not sure if one of those actions finally caused the update or??

0 Likes
kangaroo_shoe
Enthusiast - Level 1

As an update to my original post:

I was fortunate enough to get a service technician out to look at the problem today!!  

Various items were replaced during the process of elimination trying to pinpoint issue.  Ended up changing out the router, splitter, and the DVR again, checked cables, jacks, ONT, etc.  Still no luck.  What he said was that for some reason, the set top box wasn't receiving/keeping an IP and that was what probably kept triggering the resets. 

The only thing that ultimately worked was to relocate the router to another room of the house.

Go figure...

Fingers crossed that this fixed it for good.

0 Likes