STB won't keep settings
jimkofmd
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm having trouble with my HD DVR not keeping the 1080i output resolution.  I've set it in both the service menu and user menu but when you power off the STB it comes back on in 720 sometimes 480.  I spent an hour yesterday on the phone w/ tech and it wouldn't keep.  They sent me a new box but having the same issue.  My TV is a full 1080P tv so 1080i is no problem and works well until I power off/on.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STB won't keep settings
PJL
Master - Level 3

The STB is receiving some sort of HDMI handshake from the Yamaha receiver that causes it to reset the resolution from 1080i.  You are likely attempting to use the processing cabilities of the receiver to upscale the 1080i signal from the STB to 1080p.  Page 94 of your user manual says that 1080i is upscaled to 720p or 1080p and since the STB doesn't do 1080p the HDMI handshake reverts to 720p and the STB resets to that accordingly.  Try setting the HDMI-HDMI video signal processing to Through (versus Processing).  Let your TV do the upscaling to 1080p since any signal it receives will be upscaled to the native 1080p display resolution of the TV anyway -- having your receiver do the upscaling is not necessary.

Note that IMG version 1.8 deployed over the past two or so months modified some HDMI code, which is why you may be now seeing this issue.  You should also check to confirm the your Yamaha's firmware is at version 1.11. 

View solution in original post

PJL
Master - Level 3

I presume your TV is connected via HDMI.  The STB is seeing something other than 1080i when it is negotiating with the TV and therefore resetting the resolution to what it sees.  What type of TV do you have?  Is there an AV receiver in the path to the TV?  If so, what type?

0 Likes
jimkofmd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes I'm connected by HDMI.  I'm connected to my receiver (yamaha rx-v3900) which when not being used passes the signal straight thru to the TV.  I can set it to 1080i and it works w/ no problem until I turn off the STB.  I've been connected this way since I installed fios in August w/ no problems 'til about a month ago.  With the rec'vr on i can upgrade the video to 1080p but only use it for movies.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

The STB is receiving some sort of HDMI handshake from the Yamaha receiver that causes it to reset the resolution from 1080i.  You are likely attempting to use the processing cabilities of the receiver to upscale the 1080i signal from the STB to 1080p.  Page 94 of your user manual says that 1080i is upscaled to 720p or 1080p and since the STB doesn't do 1080p the HDMI handshake reverts to 720p and the STB resets to that accordingly.  Try setting the HDMI-HDMI video signal processing to Through (versus Processing).  Let your TV do the upscaling to 1080p since any signal it receives will be upscaled to the native 1080p display resolution of the TV anyway -- having your receiver do the upscaling is not necessary.

Note that IMG version 1.8 deployed over the past two or so months modified some HDMI code, which is why you may be now seeing this issue.  You should also check to confirm the your Yamaha's firmware is at version 1.11. 

jimkofmd
Enthusiast - Level 3

I bypassed the yamaha and went direct stb-tv.  That seemed to have worked.  I thought when the rec'vr was in standby mode the signal when straight thru, I don't see how it can process anything when it's off.  I had it set to process so it would up the signal to 1080p when watching FIOS movies to get a better picture, which it did. You mention, let the tv upgrade the process but to the best of my knowledge my tv doesn't upgrade the video, it's just that it can show whatever the input signal receives.  Since for the moment I have both QIP7216 and QIP6200 and have to return one of them, is one any better than the other?

THANKS for all your help!  ps: My understanding is that yamaha 1.11 fw upgrade didn't fix the problems and 1.13 is coming out soon so maybe I'll be able to get it working better.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@jimkofmd wrote:

I bypassed the yamaha and went direct stb-tv.  That seemed to have worked.  I thought when the rec'vr was in standby mode the signal when straight thru, I don't see how it can process anything when it's off.

Is the receiver able to be turned on by a remote (I assume it is).  This indicates it is never really off, just in a low power mode and can probably still do processing as well as await remote control commands.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

To "show" a video signal the TV must convert any input to the native resolution of the TV so that the display works.  Your TV's native display in 1080p, so the signal has to be converted to that resolution or it will not display.  A 1080i interlaced signal is simply doubled by the TV's processor so that it can be displayed. 

I would keep the 7216 - it has a faster processor and is the newer model.

0 Likes
jimkofmd
Enthusiast - Level 3

@PJL wrote:

To "show" a video signal the TV must convert any input to the native resolution of the TV so that the display works.  Your TV's native display in 1080p, so the signal has to be converted to that resolution or it will not display.  A 1080i interlaced signal is simply doubled by the TV's processor so that it can be displayed. 

I would keep the 7216 - it has a faster processor and is the newer model.

I don't understand much of this stuff.  It gets worse as I get older and all of it gets more confusing.

0 Likes