Samsung HDTV
kjoyce1181

I got Verizon FiOS TV service about 4 weeks ago and over the last week or so my Samsung HDTV model number HLS4676S has started getting dead pixels. I did some research online and found that the motorolla box and the Samsung HD TVs have known problems when connected with an HDMI cable. I am wondering who is responsible for paying for my tv to be repaired because I was not informed by the technician who installed my FiOS service/tv that there was a known issue with my TV?

0 Likes
Re: Samsung HDTV
Hubrisnxs
Legend

There have been no documented cases of the HDMI handshake issue causing dead pixels on a tv set. 

You may want to reach out to your TV vendor if it's under warranty, or if you picked up an additional warranty for the TV from the retailer or from verizon, you can have it repaired under that warranty.

If you don't have a warranty that you can take advantage of, you would have to cover the repairs yourself. 

Some Samsung users discuss dead pixels on a relatively new TV here

0 Likes
JustLou1

Besides no cases of FiOS damaging HDTV's, the HLS4676S is a DLP HDTV. There are no pixels. It's a rear projection set.

0 Likes
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

Samsung and Fios have issues. I too have a Samsung rear projection model HLP-6163W and I am currently using component connection because of the handshake issue that still exists.

I was able to use HDMI connections as long as I used the 720p video settings. When I tried to switch to 1080i I had issues until the firmware update temporarily fixed the problem. Roughly 4 weeks later I was unable to use 1080i with the HDMI connection.

Switch out your HDMI with component and it should fix your problems and wait out the fix.

I wish Verizon & Samsung would resolve the issue once & for all so that we can get back to HDMI.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What I find totally strange about this is I have a Samsung LED 7100 TV and have no issues.

So my question is, which model STB is everyone using who is having the HDMI issue. I have the 64xx model and it works flawlessly.

0 Likes
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had both the 7216 & 6416 granted the 7216 blew out upon receiving the 1.7 firware update and I never got a chance to see if it would have worked but this issue should be able to be resolved.

Cablevision did not have this issue and they use motorola set top boxes.  

0 Likes
JustLou1

I have the Samsung HLT6187S LED DLP, and have zero issues using HDMI and the 7216.

0 Likes
WRKPA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is what I found at SAMSUNG

Since the release of Samsung’s 2008 televisions, we have received reports that the Motorola HD set-top-boxes installed by Verizon FIOS and some 2008 Samsung TV’s are incompatible. Some customers have reported that when the FIOS HD boxes are connected to Samsung TVs using an HDMI cable, the video drops in and out. The problem occurs randomly and can not be directly tied to any one model, HD box, board type, or television firmware version.  The problem is restricted to the HDMI connection. All other connection types work without a problem.

Samsung engineers have visited Verizon multiple times and have tested Verizon’s HD set-top-boxes with many Samsung televisions. In all cases, the problem didn’t occur during the test or, if it did occur, was resolved by replacing the tested set-top-box with an updated model.

After the tests, the technicians at Verizon confirmed that the problem lay with their equipment. To resolve the issue, Verizon will create a new set-top-box and/or write new firmware. In the meantime, Verizon has been advising customers to connect their set-top boxes to Samsung TVs using the Component video connection until a solution is available.

Verizon FIOS Compatibility With Older Samsung TVsAll older Samsung TVs are compatible with Verizon FIOS Standard Definition TV.

0 Likes
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Samsung from 1995 (HLP6163W) and I have an HDMI issue and have been trying to resolve it since it was installed back in Oct. 2009.

I was not aware of the issue until it was installed and I was also misinformed that it was resolved when the 7.1 firware update was released (told by a Verizon tech when the update blew out my DVR STB)

0 Likes
njtrout

Where are you finding this on the Samsung Website? Can you provide a link. I have a Samsung LN46A750 with the same problems and would like to know where this is on the Samsung site.

Thanks

PATrout

0 Likes