Re: FIOS Mobile app no longer available for Samsung Smart TV
dscotten
Enthusiast - Level 1

That is a good question. I am also wondering if Roku might have it. Samsung contacted me yesterday and refused to send me the USB for my 40" one (UN40EH5300XZA), saying that it's out of warranty, even though I have an extended warranty. I am going to call Best Buy today. They keep saying the firmware will download onto a Mac, but that is not true...nothing happens and it is a corrupt file according to my OS.  I live on a fixed income and I am not that tech savy, so it looks like if Best Buy does not fix it, I am going to go to the state's consumer protection agency. It seems as though "enough is enough". Samsung sells its products that don't work as advertised. Not even the web browser works...no flash player that can be downloaded. So, now I have 2 smart tvs that were bought especially to hook into my FIOS network. Thanks so much for everyone's input here....so valuable! 🙂

@JoeFlo wrote:

I used to have the FIOS TV app installed on my Samsung UN50ES6900 (SmartHub) but noticed it is no longer available.  I tried to reinstall but the app no longer is available.  After troubleshooting with Samsung support I was informed that Verizon has removed the app for only select Samsung Smart TV models.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Does anyone know of other alternatives to stream FIOS Mobile to the SmartTV (ie Chromecast)?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Mobile app no longer available for Samsung Smart TV
notabubba1

@dscotten wrote:

I am not that tech savy, so it looks like if Best Buy does not fix it, I am going to go to the state's consumer protection agency. It seems as though "enough is enough". Samsung sells its products that don't work as advertised. Not even the web browser works...no flash player that can be downloaded. So, now I have 2 smart tvs that were bought especially to hook into my FIOS network. Thanks so much for everyone's input here....so valuable! 🙂

Bestbuy can't "fix" it, don't waste your time.  And don't waste your time and that of your state's consumer agency calling them in a huff, since this is not due to any kind of misrepresentation by Samsung or Verizon.   You'll find the terms and conditions of the software licenses for SmartHub and the Fios app you accepted (you DID read them, right?, since they're legally binding contracts and not just annoying pop-ups you click OK to make go away) don't give you any basis for any kind of action because the software doesn't work the way you expect (Flash-less browser) or has been removed due to technical issues (FIOS app).  Suggest you find a friend, relative, or neighbor who can help you understand the technologies you're embracing before you throw anymore of your limited income down a rabbit hole or screaming against the wind.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Smart TV FiOS App not working
diggitybiggity

I purchased a Television on Black Friday that was SPECIFICALLY listed on Samsungs website (which was HOT LINKED from Verizons Website) to work with the FiOS APP.... Now the app is no where to be found?! As in not currently working??? I spent almost $500 total dollars on the TV, new outlet install and wall mount. This is completely unacceptable. Terms of Service I "agreed" to or not are out the window. This is FALSE advertising at the least and outright fraud at the most.

Furthermore, NO ONE at Verizon will send me their internal e-Mails (yes, they have internal e-Mails about this) claiming privacy and property of Verizon....(yadda yadda yadda)

So they are AWARE of the issue, yet never removed this information from their website... WTH?!?

I currently have a call and a claim into the corporate office, but this is outright unacceptable. All of us should honestly consider a much larger social media campaign to make Verizon light a fire under their arse on this one... Nothing will help fix this issue faster.

0 Likes
dscotten
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thank you for sharing your process here. I am with you here. Where would you like to begin? I can understand the person with the last response to my note, that these corporations feel that they can do anything they like; however, the issue seems to be bigger than simple fraud, doesn't it?:-) Something like social and ethical justice and the consumers are left. In the long run both Samsung and Verizon lose when customers stop using their equipment and find alternative ways. For me, I will not buy another Samsung product; I am telling others to do the same and I keep calling Verizon. I have effectively spent over $800 collectively for the 2 tvs I bought. Best Buy, by the way, did download the USB for me and I will try that (Samsung would not send me the USB). What I would suggest here is that you make sure you have a screen shot, etc. of what you thought you were getting, etc. I had done that in another instance when I thought I was getting a free gift card with a computer and the company charged my credit card without my authorization. The credit card company is investigating that...perhaps that might be another avenue for you. If you are in the East Coast, perhaps we can do something collectively in this area? Let me know. And, yes, we can also collectively write with a CC to a consumer rights organization.
@diggitybiggity wrote:

I purchased a Television on Black Friday that was SPECIFICALLY listed on Samsungs website (which was HOT LINKED from Verizons Website) to work with the FiOS APP.... Now the app is no where to be found?! As in not currently working??? I spent almost $500 total dollars on the TV, new outlet install and wall mount. This is completely unacceptable. Terms of Service I "agreed" to or not are out the window. This is FALSE advertising at the least and outright fraud at the most.

Furthermore, NO ONE at Verizon will send me their internal e-Mails (yes, they have internal e-Mails about this) claiming privacy and property of Verizon....(yadda yadda yadda)

So they are AWARE of the issue, yet never removed this information from their website... WTH?!?

I currently have a call and a claim into the corporate office, but this is outright unacceptable. All of us should honestly consider a much larger social media campaign to make Verizon light a fire under their arse on this one... Nothing will help fix this issue faster.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I find it hard to beleive that people are saying the only differentiator between a Samsung TV and anohter brand is the FIOS APP.

I have several Samsungs (one that does support app and one that never has). I picked them for the quality.

There was never a promise that they would support this app forever.
Yes, it may be a bit dis-heartening that when you bought the TV it was stated it would support the app.

But Verizon/Samsung could have come out the day after you bought it and said we are pulling the app as we will no longer support it (just like what happened with LG devices).
I don't think there is any contractual obligation (either stated or implied) that support would be provided.

Pretty sure there is an out from both that support for any app is not guaranteed.

0 Likes
diggitybiggity

I currently have claim in with the Corporate Executive Office.

If this avenue turns out to be fruitless I'm ready to go full bore on a social media frenzy and local news blitz. Contrary to what CRobGauth states, there may not be a "contractual obligation" but to say it isn't implied is a flat out distortion of the facts. As CLEARLY stated in Verizon's literature from their website;

"Verizon is proud to offer FiOS customers a new option for viewing select live TV channels and FiOS On Demand movies and TV shows within the home. If you subscribe to both FiOS TV and FiOS Internet, you can use the Verizon app to watch FiOS content on Samsung devices such as connected TVs and Blu-ray players without having to pay for another Set-Top Box!"

It goes on to LINK to Samsungs website of which TV's are compatible. Verizon is trying to tell me that "Samsung is in charge of that page" but this isn't MY fault. If you're linking from your website to another website and putting faith in them, OWN IT! It is THEIR (Verizon's) responsibility to their consumers to make sure what they're releasing to the public is accurate.

So, he (CRobGauth) can "...find it hard to believe that people are saying the only differentiator between Samsung TV and another brand is the FiOS APP" but clearly he (CRobGauth) doesn't understand the root of the issue.

In my circumstance and clearly plenty of others, this WAS the differentiator in our decision of which TV to buy. I spent $300 as opposed to $200 on this specific TV and may have not even purchased a new TV at all had I known this wouldn't work. Via the suggestion off of Verizons very own website I bought this television specifically to use the FiOS App and now am stuck holding the bag.

I want one of two things from Verizon. Either a WRITTEN notice of when this issue will be fixed OR $100 credit applied to my FiOS account. Why $100? Because like I said, had I known this TV wasn't going to do WHAT WAS ADVERTISED, I would have spent $200 on a Vizeo and called it a day.

Should Verizon fail to meet what is clearly fair, I will go on a rampage (dscotten you're welcome to join!) of social media that they will have wished they greased the squeeky wheel. Don't EVER underestimate to power of social media and how quickly a company will want to "do right" by their consumers.

0 Likes
jan9999

I have the same problem with a smart TV I bought a few months ago - watched FioS for a while with no problems, then app disappeared, and no longer is listed as an available app. I would suggest posting to the Samsung support facebook page. They won't address any individual post, but if enough posts show up there with the same problem, it might serve as bad press and get them to work on a fix.

Here's my post:

https://www.facebook.com/samsungsupport/posts/10204339997254275?comment_id=10204343882631407&offset=...

And here's the Samsung support facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/samsungsupport?fref=nf

0 Likes
dscotten
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thank you so much for your reply here. I would be happy to join you in your media advocacy.  I think you are right about this being a larger issue beyond the finances. For me, it does have something to do with honor and ethics in busines practices. In any event, let me know how I might be helpful.

0 Likes
dscotten
Enthusiast - Level 1

That was a good post that you made. Thank you for sharing that with us. I followed up and also made a comment; however, I don't see any of those comments on the actual Facebook page when I explored further. I then wrote them a message to that effect. I also see that they will remove posts that they deem to be uncomplementary, it would seem. In any event, many messages might be helpful as well.

0 Likes
markob50

I have the same problem. My tv is a un60es8000. This is a 2012 model and Samsung at this moment has no support for fios/verizon app. Thank you for your posting.

0 Likes