Re: Samsung Smart TV FiOS App not working
VB23454
Enthusiast - Level 2

I talked to the Samsung App store supervisor today about the FIOS app for Samsung TVs.    He said that Verizon is responsible for the FIOS app and  they just provide the platform for distributing it.  They have received many calls about it.  He said it was pulled by Verizon and he doesn't have any more information about it.  None of the Samsung Smart TVs should have FIOS app anymore until when and if Verizon replaces it.  Verizon still has the information and the link about the Samsung FIOS app on their web-site.  When it comes back, it will have to be downloaded again.  If anyone following this stream sees it, please post that you gotten it.

0 Likes
markob50

That's funny! Samsung says the same thing about Verizon. The only thing that matters, is they need to fix this problem. I have a record of a conversation with Samsung saying they are waiting for "third party developer to fix this."  We spent a lot of money on our tvs and Samsung needs to get this done. GET IT FIXED ALREADY!

0 Likes
dscotten
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had another long chat with Verizon yesterday and I was told that Samsung is refusing to work with Verizon on this and that Verizon is willing to do that, but Samsung has to send them something, perhaps the firmware? From other reviews of Samsung that I have been reading, this kind of unresponsiveness seems to be prevalent. I am thinking of writing a letter to both of the headquarters cc another agency. I appreciate your sharing here with us. Thank you.

@VB23454 wrote:

I talked to the Samsung App store supervisor today about the FIOS app for Samsung TVs.    He said that Verizon is responsible for the FIOS app and  they just provide the platform for distributing it.  They have received many calls about it.  He said it was pulled by Verizon and he doesn't have any more information about it.  None of the Samsung Smart TVs should have FIOS app anymore until when and if Verizon replaces it.  Verizon still has the information and the link about the Samsung FIOS app on their web-site.  When it comes back, it will have to be downloaded again.  If anyone following this stream sees it, please post that you gotten it.

0 Likes
Lucid123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello everyone. I just wanted to add my professional opinion to this thread in order to hopefully shed some light on this issue with the FIOS app. I know it can be frustrating when a favorite app no longer works after you upgrade your device, whether it's a phone, tablet or smart TV. I'm a software engineer of 13+ years, so I thought I'd share some information with you all so you'll be able to more affectively direct your inquiries to the party whom has control over the solution in order to, hopefully, hasten a correction to the problem.

I'll start out bluntly; this is 100% Verizon's problem to fix. That being said, Samsung's new firmware, caused the FIOS app to no longer work. Think of it in terms of your Android or iPhone. If I write an app for your phone, and then Google or Apple release an updated Operating System for the phone, which changes the way certain function are supposed to be coded by app developers, it is my responsibility to look over the documents they release regarding these changes and update my app accordingly in order to adhere to the new standards; that is if I want those who've adopted the new updated OS to be able to install and use my app. This is exactly what has happened with the FIOS app and Samsung's new Smart Hub update. It is not Samsungs responsibility to "work with Verizon" to update their app, it is Verizon's app and it is Verizon's responsibility to keep it up to date with the latest Samsung firmware.

Frankly, Verizon has a history of releasing buggy, poorly coded apps. For instance, their Android apps used to have numerous bugs which could only be resolved by restarting the app. Those apps have gotten better, but it took them quite a while to get it to where it is today.

So, if you wish to exert any pressure in order to get this fixed sooner than later, you should be pressuring Verizon on this issue.

I just bought a Samsung Smart TV, so hopefully Verizon gets this fixed soon as I'd like to give this app a try as well.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Supposively the app works on the new TV models.  Not sure if it was the same version of the app or a different one.  Certainly is not currently even there on my "E" (2012-2013) models.

At least some reports said it was not interface changes but expiring certificates.  I tend to think that is incorrect as although it would take a little time to correct the certificates, retest, and then get Samsung to certify, it shouldn't have taken this long.

0 Likes
dscotten
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just wanted to thank you for your information. It has certainly has helped with my understanding of the issue. I will, then, try to find someone in my local Verizon to see if I can go further up the line. ...certainly wish that Verizon had someone like you:-)

Lucid123 wrote:

Hello everyone. I just wanted to add my professional opinion to this thread in order to hopefully shed some light on this issue with the FIOS app. I know it can be frustrating when a favorite app no longer works after you upgrade your device, whether it's a phone, tablet or smart TV. I'm a software engineer of 13+ years, so I thought I'd share some information with you all so you'll be able to more affectively direct your inquiries to the party whom has control over the solution in order to, hopefully, hasten a correction to the problem.well.

0 Likes
VB23454
Enthusiast - Level 2

Totally agree with Lucid123, this is a Verizon problem.  It has to be due to the function of the app and how it has to work with the FIOS system, demand purchases, etc.  I have also added a comment to the Verizon article about FIOS Samsung app not working

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/New-FiOS-TV-app-now-on-many-Samsung-smart-TVs-and-Blu-r...

and sent a private message to the Verizon author about it.  I hope she will reply.  I do plan to go to my local FIOS store and see what they know and who to complain to.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are making one huge assumption: That Verizon is the author of the app.

I have seen people quote both vendors as pointing the finger at the other.

All we know for sure is that we are all frustrated at the amount of time it has taken to correct.

0 Likes
VB23454
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think it is much of an assumption, read the article posted by Version annoucing the app  ( i had a link above) but here i quote

"It’s our commitment at Verizon to deliver the best possible viewing experience to the multiple devices that our customers already own and use.  Whether it’s a smart TV, like Samsung, or an Xbox, FiOS customers can stream popular FiOS TV channels or watch Flex View titles without an additional set-top box."

To work with demand and their purchasing system, it has to be done by FIOS or a subcontractor to them.  Therefore, I think it is their app. 

0 Likes
CGK21
Enthusiast - Level 1

After an hour and a half on the phone with Verizon (and probably about 8 different reps and tech support people, most of whom claim they didn't even know there was an issue and the ones that did blamed Samsung,) I got an update that Verizon and Samsung developers are working together to update Fios app to be compatible wth the Samsung firmware and that the fix won't be available until AT LEAST SUMMER of 2015!!!  Totally unacceptable.  I, for one, bought this TV this summer solely to use with this app, as there is no way to install a cable outlet where this TV is mounted. I was able to use the app for a whole 3 months before I experienced the detecting network error and then it just disappeared one day.  This is a VERIZON issue, not a SAMSUNG issue.  We need to put pressure on verizon.  Facebook, Twitter, other forms of social media are the best ways to get them to pay attention and get this fix in place.  It's been 2 1/2 months.  That's plenty of time to have resolved this matter.

Please go to Facebook and Twitter so that we can get this fixed ASAP.  You'll see my posts.