Science Channel HD 622 Picture/Sound Quality Issues
srfios1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is anyone experience picture and sound quality on the Science Channel 622 HD.  We are getting picture and sound quality issues.    Channel 122 Science Channel 122 (SD version) works fine.

I also checked the SNR (signal-to-noise ration) in the System Information menus for this channel and it is reported as "fair", while other HD stations are reported as "good".  It appears to be an upstream problem and not with our home wiring as it is only related to this one channel.

If I watch the Science Channel 622 HD via my iPad, I experience the same issues.  It must be Verizon or maybe even the content provider for the Science Channel.

Here's a screen shot from my iPad.  It looks looks exactly the same when played through our set-top box on our TV.

0 Likes
Re: Science Channel HD 622 Picture/Sound Quality Issues
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Might be an issue with your ONT. The problem is getting a tech out to replace it now. Tech aren't coming into houses now due to the pandemic. 

srfios1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why might it be a problem with the ONT if it only effects one channel? 

Respectfully,

SRFios

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some older ONTs will start to have this issue over time. Certain channel are grouped together on a specific frequency. A few may be affected where all the others are fine. Honestly there are a number of things it could be. The ONT, splitters, wiring, HDMI cord, or the box. it Pixelation show on your TV because of BER(Bit error rate) and your SNR may still look normal. Check diagnostics on Inband status look Uncollectable and Correctable and they should be zero. If a value is there that is why there is pixelation. You can try connecting the box directly to the ONT to bypass the wiring in your house. 

DW110

My science channel 622 has been doing this for months.  It is the only channel where I have noticed the problem.  The sound goes silent for a couple of seconds every minute and the picture pixelates a little bit.  It does it on all of my set top boxes so it is not the connection on one TV or STB.  I watch this channel a lot and it is unacceptable.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DW1 wrote:

My science channel 622 has been doing this for months.  It is the only channel where I have noticed the problem.  The sound goes silent for a couple of seconds every minute and the picture pixelates a little bit.  It does it on all of my set top boxes so it is not the connection on one TV or STB.  I watch this channel a lot and it is unacceptable.

Please read this posted by Edg1:

Some older ONTs will start to have this issue over time. Certain channel are grouped together on a specific frequency. A few may be affected where all the others are fine. Honestly there are a number of things it could be. The ONT, splitters, wiring, HDMI cord, or the box. it Pixelation show on your TV because of BER(Bit error rate) and your SNR may still look normal. Check diagnostics on Inband status look Uncollectable and Correctable and they should be zero. If a value is there that is why there is pixelation. You can try connecting the box directly to the ONT to bypass the wiring in your house.

If it's all boxes in the house, then the ONT, splitter, or the coax from the ONT to the splitter are the most likely suspects.