Screen Size Issue
jjr4
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a screen size issue with a new Samsung TV on Standard Definition (SD) channels from my FIOS set top box.  HD channels are displayed perfectly on TV as are DVD/Blue Ray player inputs.  However, with SD TV channels from set top box, I can only display a picture with under scan (black bars on sides) or over scan (top and bottom of picture cut off).  Both HD and SD channels are sent to TV as 1920x1080i signals from the FIOS set top box (Motorola HD QIP 71001).  Set top box is set to "16:9 wide".  Never noticed an issue on my old Sony TV which new TV replaced.   Any suggestions for getting SD channels to display fully with in the screen without over or under scan?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Screen Size Issue
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

The 2500 doesn't have a stretch feature in the menu.   The HD boxes can let you stretch HD images, but the SD boxes don't give you that.  So the only way to stretch is using your samsung or TV stretch mode.  Take a look at the user manual for the TV to see how to stretch.

The OP also stated that they were receiving signals at 1920 x 1080i which is certainly not supported on a QIP2500 SD box.

The SD override is one answer.  You can set it to stretch (as stated) or set it to 480i or 480p and let your TV do the stretching to eliminate the bars.  Either way, the only way to fill the screen on an SD picture (which is 4:3 not 16:9 as stated) is to stretch the picture.  Up to you which way looks better.

You can also use the ASPECT ("*" asterisk) button on the remote to have the STB stretch or zoom the image (zoom gives full screen on 4:3 letterboxed shows).  First press is a stretch, 2nd press is more stretch, and 3rd press is zoom.  Pressing again returns to "normal".

Try all the methods and use what you like best.  My personal preference is to never strtech and only zoom on 4:3 letterbox as I don't like distorted images which invariably happen with stretching of any kind.

View solution in original post

PJL
Master - Level 3

@jjr wrote:

I have a screen size issue with a new Samsung TV on Standard Definition (SD) channels from my FIOS set top box.  HD channels are displayed perfectly on TV as are DVD/Blue Ray player inputs.  However, with SD TV channels from set top box, I can only display a picture with under scan (black bars on sides) or over scan (top and bottom of picture cut off).  Both HD and SD channels are sent to TV as 1920x1080i signals from the FIOS set top box (Motorola HD QIP 71001).  Set top box is set to "16:9 wide".  Never noticed an issue on my old Sony TV which new TV replaced.   Any suggestions for getting SD channels to display fully with in the screen without over or under scan?

To what do you have the SD Override setting on the FiOS STB set?  Black bars on the side are proper for SD broadcasts -- the signal is for a 4x3, not 16x9 ratio display.  You can set the SD Override to "stretch" but it will make the picture look "fat" -- although some prefer that to the side bars. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The 2500 doesn't have a stretch feature in the menu.   The HD boxes can let you stretch HD images, but the SD boxes don't give you that.  So the only way to stretch is using your samsung or TV stretch mode.  Take a look at the user manual for the TV to see how to stretch.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

The OP stated they have a Motorola HD QIP 71001, so they should have the SD override capability I suggested they look at.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

The OP also stated that they were receiving signals at 1920 x 1080i which is certainly not supported on a QIP2500 SD box.

The SD override is one answer.  You can set it to stretch (as stated) or set it to 480i or 480p and let your TV do the stretching to eliminate the bars.  Either way, the only way to fill the screen on an SD picture (which is 4:3 not 16:9 as stated) is to stretch the picture.  Up to you which way looks better.

You can also use the ASPECT ("*" asterisk) button on the remote to have the STB stretch or zoom the image (zoom gives full screen on 4:3 letterboxed shows).  First press is a stretch, 2nd press is more stretch, and 3rd press is zoom.  Pressing again returns to "normal".

Try all the methods and use what you like best.  My personal preference is to never strtech and only zoom on 4:3 letterbox as I don't like distorted images which invariably happen with stretching of any kind.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Ah,  both are correct. Sorry about that.  I saw the SD at the top and kinda scanned through it, and thought he was saying he couldn't do it on his SD box where he had the feature on his HD box.

It's been a long day  😛    My apologies

Since that is the case, then the OP can go to menu > settings > video settings > SD Override, and select stretch to stretch the imag

e.

0 Likes
jjr4
Enthusiast - Level 1

SD Override fixed the problem.  For some reason in switching from my Sony TV to the Samsung TV, I must have turned SD Override OFF.  In any event, set it to 480p and now both SD channel sizes are a perfect fit and HD channels are a perfect fit, without having to touch the "Picture Size" button on my TV remote.  Thanks for the inputs.

0 Likes
ebyson_99

How do I reset override the SD setting?

0 Likes
ebyson_99

Never mind

0 Likes
xxxxx

I tried every solution.  Nothing worked. Picture too big or too small or just bad. Guide size is just awful,

0 Likes