Screen goes blank, DVR won't respond,"h5' error
NwCmbrlndPA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Attempting to play a recorded program on my DVR.   The TV went blank and the STB would not respond to any commands from the remote.  The STB displayed "h5".   Power off did not resolve it.  I unplugged the STB and then I got the picture back and control of the STB.  Does anyone know what "h5" means?

0 Likes
Re: Screen goes blank, DVR won't respond,"h5' error
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1
It is most likely FiOS will not have an answer as to what the H5 code means. I have seen H1, H3 and H5, surfice to say if it happens again your STB needs to be replaced. To make a long story short I say this because thats what they did with mine and i no longer have the problem.
Message Edited by Joe01880 on 04-01-2009 03:02 PM
0 Likes
Vid

The same exact thing happened to me and only physically unplugging the STB cord from the wall worked; only I was attempting to record a program. I guess it's similar to when your computer crashes and needs to be "hard booted". I couldn't find anything about the "h5" error code, which I received as well. I'm guessing it's like the Windows "fatal error". Any links to the Motorola DVR error codes? I think it's a software and not a hardware problem.

0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

Out of curiousity, is there any chance your DVR is in a cabinet?  Or is it out in the open and well ventilated?

I've gotten a few of these "Hx" errors, but they didn't appear until I put my DVR in a media cabinet along with my Onkyo receiver and AppleTV device.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with the unit overheating.  But in my experience, the error only lasted less than a minute and was able to resolve itself without a hard reset.

Message Edited by CSimpson on 04-24-2009 09:40 AM
0 Likes
OrloElfes
We've encountered h5 a few times - - it always seems related to a particular DVR recording that just won't play.  Only solution is to unplug the DVR, plug back in and delete the recording.  Doesn't happen often (once every 3 months on average), not bad given our heavy use of the DVR.
0 Likes
auntsis59
I too get this h5 error. It happens a LOT. At least 2 or 3 times a month. I have not called Verizon on it, because when I unplug the unit, it resets itself, but you have to unplug the unit. The only difference I have compared to what you all have is that it happens when playing a recorded show, but it also happens when attempting to access my computer content, music on my computer. And again, the only thing that fixes it, is to unplug the unit. I read what the one person stated about ventilation, and I'm going to see if that actually is the problem. I have my unit setting on top of the tv, on top of a dvd/vcr combo unit. And it may actually be too hot. I hadn't thought of that before. I will move them and see what happens, and will let you all know.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Have gotten the H5 error with blanked video twice in 2 1/2 years.  Both times it happened while playing back a recording and both times it was cleared up by unplugging (re-booting) the DVR.  After the power down the same recording that caused the error played fine Smiley Indifferent .  Don't have multi-room only a standard 6416-2 (had since day 1).
0 Likes