Secondary splitter question
hhbean
Enthusiast - Level 1

In my home office I have my fios router.  Its hooked up via coax to the splitter provided by the fios tech that installed my tv and internet.  I'm wondering if I can put a secondary splitter on this coax line to hook up an HD box for a new tv in the room or if I need to install a second line up from the original splitter in the basement.

thanks-

0 Likes
Re: Secondary splitter question
tns
Master - Level 2

You can do it but try to keep the number of splits down.  Each split will lower signal strength and at some point it will cause your signal quality to drop too low and quality will suffer.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@hhbean wrote:

In my home office I have my fios router ... hooked up via coax to the splitter ... wondering if I can put a secondary splitter on this coax line to hook up an HD box for a new tv ... or if I need to install a second line up from the original splitter in the basement ...

Most likely you can use an additional 2-to-1 splitter to connect the new HD STB.  Judging from what others have written in this forum this will be satisfactory, but be sure that the splitter meets the required specifications.  

Another possibility is to move the router to the basement and connect it directly to the main splitter, and then use the existing coax in your office for the TV.  Depending on the layout of your home and your wireless requirements, this will probably be OK also.

0 Likes
hhbean
Enthusiast - Level 1

What are the required specifications?  I've seen 3-1000mhz 2 way, but I'm having a hard time finding anything like that online.  Would 5mhz-2ghz work?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

any good splitter supporting 1000 khz (1 mhz) or higher should work.  Prefereably without two many extra unused taps.