Re: Sept 2020 Fios DVR and Guide Update
ejrnyc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Xfinity DVR and Guide run circles around this horrible downgrade! Did anyone bother to do UI testing? This has to be a setup for another upcharge. I just can't imagine any competent project manager pushing this out to millions of customers. The phone app has a better response time, but nothing compared to Xfinity's interface. Ugh, this may be the straw that makes me jump on the streaming wagon.

DirecTV TiVo's from 20 years ago had a better guide and functionality. 

New Fios “upgrade”
LL110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do not like the new Fios upgrade. 
I do not see how to skip to live TV when viewing a program in delay. Is that no longer possible?

fast forward and skip on prerecorded program is slow and unstable. 
ability to access guide programming by using down arrow key and fast forward through upcoming shows was very useful and is no longer available. 

More of a downgrade than upgrade!

Shelly1213
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree this is horrible.  I hate it. It makes me want to switch providers.  The only thing they put back that does  make sense is when you skip 30 seconds ahead the bar shows up so you know how much you have left like it used to be a year or so ago. They changed  that the last update and you wouldn’t know when you were at the end of the recording because it wouldn’t show it would just go to the genres filter so stupid

they need to put it back to the way it was the guide is so hard to read and I just had a fast forward (so slow might I add because you can’t go faster than eight)  a 2 1/2 hour show to get to the end of the last five minutes I just wanted to watch

PUT IT BACK 

New Guide
Janny2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Don't know whose idea it was to change the guide but it is terrible. No longer color coded, smaller display and current channel now in background but not visible. Whatever were you thinking? If it ain't broke,  don't fix it! Give us the old guide back!!

RJ37
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is there any way to go back to the old guide? I agree with all the complaints here and the user experience has been terrible. We’re no longer able to jump to live, quickly fast forward in 10 minute increments in a saved show in the DVR, continue to watch a show while surfing through the guide, be able to see the shows for just one channel, find a show under My Stuff, etc. There is nothing in this new guide that I consider to be an improvement to the old one. Please please go back to the old format or send instructions on how to do that. Or at the very least provide instructions on how to use this new guide.

Boo-new-guide
Enthusiast - Level 1

The update is TERRIBLE!

1. Remote is sluggish

2. Harder to read titles and identify type of content with no color coding

3. Small screen of what you’re currently watching in the top left of the guide is gone
4. No option to go back to the old look and feel (HORRIBLE decision)

5. Guide is now overcrowded with too much imagery. The older version with the simpler layout was much better.

Verizon, please fix this! At the very least, give us the option to go back to the old look and feel.  Absolutely terrible update.  You’ve managed to make TV watching unpleasant in the time of COVID...well done

UIdefender
Enthusiast - Level 1

This latest software version release is by far THE worst "improved update" FIOS could have conceived of fostering onto their client base. Interface design and navigation are so prevalent and central in this digital age that numerous universities now offer a variety degree programs for various skill levels and focused areas of study. The resulting implementations from whoever headed up this design team handling this latest revision are on par with a neophyte in charge of their first web sitemap project.

The first of the all-too-common twin potholes that more than half of UI/UX designers inevitably run afowl of is that they are so intimate with their design workings and navigation concepts that they are clueless as to how a majority of their client's customers—the end user—will intuit, understand and otherwise be comfortable navigating the design team's conceptualization.

The other pitfall is often driven by ego and the need to impress some upper management individual or department head with their "cutting-edge, wizz bang" command of design and programming knowledge that's aligned with the latest industry trends. Inevitably, the resulting interface construction is ego-centrically dictated. Practical, feature-driven, user-serving, friendly & inuitive design? ...so five minutes ago! This held-hostage-to-vanity state holds true to insistently replace the second half of that all-too-familiar adage,  "If it ain't broke..." with the mandate, "...fix it anyway!"

1) So no one saw the value of being able to display a single channel's list of programming in a column format so users can quickly and easily focus on reviewing what's coming up over a two week period? "Naah, chuck it...and while we're at it, let's lobby MS's Excel team to drop the columns concept from spread sheets as well."

2) "Oh, and the type is way too big—let's make it smaller—just to prove my lasic eye surgery was really worth the investment...what, hasn't everyone gotten it done?" "Doesn't everyone have 75 inch TVs they're sitting eight feet away from?" "Seniors are such a boring demographic—they can't even figure out their settops and monitors have different on/off buttons, let alone handle technology, so let's just forget about simplicity and add more complexity to the navigation."

3) No one saw that when a recorded program is finished playing that it's really convenient to be able to immediately be presented with a familiar user menu for two minutes that will offer users the chance to free up more space by deleting that program right there and then before the box autoswitches back to live TV?

4) Or the value in keeping the accuracy of what the INFO button is labeled as—to immediately give the viewer an easy-to-read body of descriptive information for live TV or a pre-recorded listing? "Well...how about adding yet another step in between...after all, more choices is a better way to go—right?"

5) Or that color coding rows in the Channel Guide make it faster to focus on or skip over groups of channels a user may or may not be interested in while browsing?

Now...if that design team had focused on:

A) Adding the option to choose from two larger type sizes for those program guide listings, THAT would have been an added-value addition.

B) Assigning a remote button to immediately delete a DVR listing or folder without having to take two additional steps and a confirmation—THAT would have been an added-value addition (it's always still retrievable in the CONFIGURE menu—another tech-speak naming choice)

C) Changing that CONFIGURE menu label to reflect or include what its most-used primary function is—restoring a deleted listing, rather than giving it a vague, general name whose function has to be figured out using the "wonder what this button/menu does? " method.

D) Adding the option to sort recordings alpabetically or by folder/series first.

E) Optimizing the servers and software to shorten response time on remotes.

F) Achieving a viable method for moving every customer's DVR recordings to a "cutting-edge, wizz-bang technology" cloud server, so that customers who suddenly find their DVR settop box has crashed don't end up losing all their stored recordings.

Those would have all been "2.0" improvements users would have truly met with delight and kudos—what a difference!

BillHinNJ
Enthusiast - Level 1

It’s sad how most companies go forward, but Verizon keeps moving backwards! The new guide sucks! If it wasn’t for the good customer service and that the fact that I never have any outages , I’d be switching over to either dish network or DIRECTV

Jojororo12
Enthusiast - Level 1

I love how this is marked “Solved” it is not solved. The update is HORRIBLE! It takes me 10 minutes to change a channel and don’t even get me started on the hideous guide. It’s one thing to beta test it and allow you to revert back but to just change it in such a ridiculous way is absurd. Not surprising given that I pay almost $300 and my internet is still slow and half the time the DVR doesn’t work - I shouldn’t expect much from this company. Perhaps for the next iteration you can actually test it with people who use it. Bad job Verizon!

PauletteM1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The new guide is horrible.  FIOS should have field tested it prior to updating.  It’s harder to read, slower to flip to last channel, no longer shows the current show in a small box while checking out guide.. . . It just  sucks all around.