Re: Sept 2020 Fios DVR and Guide Update
mattdaddy72
Enthusiast - Level 2

At least that means they're monitoring this thread.  Whether they heed it is another story.  If so, it may eventually benefit many of you.  Not me, though...  I canceled my Fios tv service yesterday and am trying different streaming services now.  

I still love Fios' gigabit internet service, and sincerely hope Verizon doesn't decide to "improve" that, too.  

F_PK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Doing NOTHING seems to be something Verizon does ALMOST as well as NOT LISTENING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS!

NJBob1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Feels like piling on but maybe increased volume of complaints will get Vz to pay some attention.  My specific issues with the new guide are:

1.  Removal of the Chapters function

2. Large banners that stay on for six seconds

3. No color coding for movies, sports, etc.

4.  PIP while viewing Guide is removed.

5.  Appearance of the guide is bland, hard to read and just plain ugly.

I was quite happy (used to) the old guide.  The new one is a step backward; not an upgrade.

Longislandviewe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the tip on xfinity! I am going to look into it and pray I can get it in my area.

0 Likes
Longislandviewe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmmmmm.....the feedback is being shared with the team that thought all of these changes were great?!?!?! Will that be followed by 'brainstorming solutions' taking endless amounts of time to make even more stupid changes? Here is a thought: someone could make an executive decision and say 'lots of paying customers are talking about switching to xfinity. Let's do what our customers want, roll back update immediately and save endless brainstorming for making useful future upgrades that we will have real paying customers test prior to broad rollout '. Or just endlessy review the same comments over and over. And discuss the meaning of life. Maybe throw in a political discussion or two also. Or JUST ROLL IT BACK!!!

Theoldemann
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here's a trick I found works pretty well for long rewinding or fast-forwarding.  On the DVR menu in Configure and Upgrade hit the skip and/or replay, set it to 5 minutes, hit Exit on the remote and then just click the Next or Prev button six times and you got a half hour.

dodzter1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Those of you thinking of switching to Comcast/Xfinity will probably be disappointed. Especially if your reason is due to the guide. I was thinking of switching myself until I visited my mother. My mother has Comcast. Back in July she got new upgraded boxes. I hadn't really looked at TV at her house to notice anything. Well I went to her house today for a visit and looked at her Comcast guide to compare to Fios. Well what do ya know. It's basically the same crap Fios stuck us with. She also lost her colorful, user friendly guide. Hers is now slow, clunky and mainly black and white.

SO NOW WE KNOW WHY VERIZON/FIOS DID IT!!! Typical Verizon, they think they need to keep up with Comcast or keep up with the competition. Even if it means copying their crappy guide. It appears Comcast switched to the new guide format first. Verizon thought they had to "keep up".  I doubt there was any testing as was stated. Go to Comcast's forum and search for "upgraded guide". You'll see the same complaints we have voiced here. VERIZON, Comcast's customers don't like it either. So copying them was a foolish endeavor. Just because one company does a thing doesn't mean it's a good idea. Dare to be original Verizon. Don't be a lemming and walk off the same cliff. Better for you and your customers to keep what's working well for you.    

LadyTVWatcher
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree there are serious problems with the new guide. And I can't get the background video to disable making it nearly ineligible. Maybe the small font in tight spaces works on a huge tv but on my 39" I can't read it anymore.

FIOSGirl33
Enthusiast - Level 1

The new FIOS update is terrible!  The guide is too bunched together to read.  The last button only shows DVR or On Demand shows you watched last and not regular TV.  The remote is slow responding.

Can we please go back to the previous version or fix this version?

Prosndinc
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's obvious Verizon could care less what their paying customers think.   Some "brainiac" decided that change for the sake of change is good.   The only thing this change brings is complaints from customers who hate it!