We're not alone here. There are countless criticisms about the new guide on Fios' twitter page as well. You really screwed up, Verizon. Are you purposely trying to shed customers? Nobody can understand why you'd overhaul a perfectly efficient and visually pleasing guide for this hideous, bloated garbage. There is literally NOTHING better about this new guide. I'm so disappointed, and will be looking for an alternative if not changed back. That isn't a threat, just a fact.
This guide update is a complete fail and may be the final reason to go to Comcast. Yes it is hat bad. Control is now sluggish, No program color coding, No single channel second click option, No channel live view when looking through guide, Option button now doesn’t work on remote, no chaptering in DVR recordings. Utter fail. To correct, put it back to the previous format. Also learn to ask your customers what they want! There is no way a focus group of actual consumers lead to this abomination!
Serious concerns with new guide:
- Bring back ability to watch current channel while viewing the Guide. We want to still see what is happening on active channel while browsing. I’m browsing blind. You (thankfully) left the active channel view when pressing DVR. Why would you remove it from the Guide?
- Related to above, the transparent background is more distracting and annoying. You can’t actually comprehend what is playing and then it distracts from reading the Guide that is problematic on its own.
- Bring back color code of program type. The new Guide all blends together and is difficult to read and read quickly.
- Bring back in DVR chapter skip function by pressing up to bring up that function. You are making us click more without it.
- Overall everything very sluggish.
- I like new feature to arrow right to see what is coming up on current channel.
Right now I am trying to get to the end of a DVR'd program that I missed the last 10 minutes of. So far I have read "War and Peace" twice, played with my vintage Lionel Train that was new when I started trying to advance the DVR program, did the NY times crossword puzzle for last month, and wrote this post. Still 1 hour and 45 minutes of the program to get through.
Exaggerated? Sure but it painful to quickly get to the end of a recorded program now.
By the way I only read "War and Peace" once in that time.
Since the latest update, I can barely change the channels with my remote. There is such a lag that it takes me 3 or 4 tries until I get the correct channel. It constantly misses one or more of the numbers I am inputting. Is this getting fixed soon. The whole Fios experience has gotten unbearable.
I agree with all the deficiencies associated with the recent FIOS guide “update”. In addition I would add the following concerns:
1) In general, several options such as scrolling channels and using the “Last” channel function seem slower. Just to bring up the guide takes longer.
2) I can no longer read the guide without wearing my eyeglasses
3) Using the “Channel” button on the remote to scroll through the guide a page at a time (up or down) requires me to press the button for each page. Previously I could simply hold down the button to scroll through multiple pages of the guide.
4) the guide use to color code channels by color ( ie movie channels). This allowed a customer to scan the guide to find movie channels by quickly scrolling through the guide.
5) I don’t recall seeing an option to review a “user guide“ covering each change or enhancement.
Verizon should give its customers the ability to roll back to the previous version of the guide.
I don’t know what inspired you to shrink the size of the channel listings but you have made the listings MUCH more difficult to read for this pair of 75 year old eyes. I can barely recognize the channel identities on my 50” screen.
Please give your customers a way to increase the display size of your channel lists.