Series Manager does not add 5 minutes for back-to-back recordings
jcpittspa

I have my DVR set up to record two series on NBC: Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock.  I have them set to record 5 minutes beyond the end time because the final skit usually runs beyond the scheduled time.  Everything worked great until this season when they air back-to-back.  Now, the DVR does not record the extra 5 minutes. 

I can somewhat understand that it won't record the extra 5 minutes for the first show, because it switches over to the next show.  Why can't it record the extra 5 minutes on the second show?  This happens even when we are not watching TV and the DVR is off during the recording time.  No tuners are being used after the show?  Why won't it record five more minutes?

Why doesn't the DVR know that both tuners are available so that it can record the extra 5 minutes for both shows? 

0 Likes
Re: Series Manager does not add 5 minutes for back-to-back recordings
Shamika_VZ
Contributor - Level 3
Hello jcpittspa,

There seems to be a conflict somewhere. To further assist I sent you a private message.

Thanks,

Shamika_Vz Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have this same experience ... two back to back shows on the same channel each setup to record and extra five minutes on the end (because recently Verizon's sense of "reality" in terms of what time it is seems to differ from the networks by a minute or two meaning the DVR cuts off the end of a show -- likewise I get an extra minute or two on the front of most shows).

Anyhow, I noticed that within the past few months when that started happening, that if I had two shows back to back (and no other shows setup to record) that instead of the DVR setting both tuners to the same channel and recording each show independently, the second show tramps on the first show and steals the tuner and the first show stops recording.

Now, as long as you know this is what is going to happen, you can easily find the end of the first show on the beginning of the recording for the second show ... but if you happen to watch the second show first and delete it ... well you've deleted the end of the first show!

I believe the same thing happens if you set show #1 to end on time and then set show #2 (which immediately follows) to start 5 minutes early.   As soon as the second show starts up ... it kills off the remainder of the time associated with the first show.

I believe this to be a DVR code bug.  In reality, since this doesn't require a second tuner at all ... the DVR should be smart enough to have both shows share the tuner and dump the recording into two files at the same time which would then also allow a third show on a different channel to record as well (or you to be watching a different channel while this was going on in the background).

0 Likes
bevross
Contributor - Level 1

@Shamika_VZ wrote:
Hello jcpittspa,

There seems to be a conflict somewhere. To further assist I sent you a private message.

Thanks,

Shamika_Vz Verizon Support

Would have been nice to offer advice about this to the rest of us -- why a private message?

0 Likes
cfs3
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I'm having this same problem too. Back-to-back recordings do not honor the 5 minutes after end rule.

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Frank

0 Likes
Egor1

It seems that Verizon, by send private messages in this subject, is hiding the fact that the series end time attribute is a phantom, and that They don't understand the concept of end time.

0 Likes
jcpittspa

Hello,

This problem started up again recently, since 30 Rock is back on the air.  Conincidentally, it's been exacly a year since I first complained.  

FYI, the private message was about getting more information so that Verizon Support could call me.

They couldn't help me with the not getting the extra 5 minutes (they tried a reboot/reset), but they did fix a problem we were having with On Demand by sending us a replacement DVR.  

We have since upgraded our DVR again to the 500GB DVR.

Verizon has since upgraded us from IMG 1.8 to IMG 1.9.

Still, my DVR will not record the extra 5 minutes after Parks and Recreation or 30 Rock when they are back to back.  I have my series manager set up to record both shows.  I have both series set to record 5 extra minutes.  When 30 Rock wasn't on, Parks and Rec recorded correctly with the extra 5 minutes.  Now that they are both on, I don't get my extra 5 minutes.  Not even after the second show when there would be no conflict with the tuner!  

Verizon, please fix this so that I can watch the end of my shows!  NBC puts funny stuff in the last couple minutes and it gets cut off!

0 Likes