Serious Bugs
b1920
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here are serious bugs. Systems should not be released with these types of bugs. Do others experience these same frustrations?

My set top box is a Motorola DVR QIP 6416-2

1.) The set top box is adding channels to my "favorites" list. Every day I clean up my list, deleting the unwanted channels, then overnight, channels get added, and I have to clean it up yet again. It especially seems to add the shopping channels, which I DO NOT want in my favorites list. This is obnoxious, is there any way to make this stop?!?

2.) When I'm in the middle of watching a DVR program, then pause and watch something else for a while, then come back to "Resume" watching, the set top box has sometimes lost the position of where I was in the program and starts over at the beginning. This doesn't always happen, but it does happen fairly frequently, and when it does happen, it is very frustrating, because I have to try to figure out where I was in the program and sometimes fast forward through several hours to get back where I was. This is a bad bug.

3.) When a program is currently being recorded (such as a football game), and I go to the DVR screen and press play for the FIRST TIME, the set top box should ALWAYS start from the beginning of the program!!! Instead, it starts at the very end of what's being recorded (i.e. the "now" file pointer). In the football game example, this is especially bad, because the first thing that comes up on the screen can be the current score, which is exactly what I DO NOT want to see. The first time you press "Play" on a DVR program should always start with the pointer at the beginning of the file.

4.) Sometimes deleting programs doesn't free up hard drive space like it should. Rebooting the box resets the free space to an accurate number, but I shouldn't have to reboot the box to achieve this!!

5.) Sometimes the audio doesn't synch up with the video. This is very annoying.

Re: Serious Bugs
b1920
Enthusiast - Level 2

One item that I forgot to include...

6.) When fast forwarding near the end of a recording, the pointer suddenly jumps past the last few minutes all the way to the end.

I will say that I DO enjoy the picture quality of FIOS HD, and I'm looking forward to improvements in the software and guide info.

I just checked and I'm on IMG 1.5.

How do I get 1.6?  I thought the upgrades were done automatically?

Thanks.

nascar
Master - Level 1

I experience and feel the same way regarding  2, 3, and 6 and picture quality is great.

IMG 1.6 should be coming out to all of us in the next month or two.  Not exactly sure what it will bring in terms of fixes and features we want.  We will have to see when it comes and then provide feedback.

I was told to go here: http://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/ and then the upper right is Send Feedback.  Select the IMG or DVR and let them know your concerns.

Although there are a bunch of bugs or features we want, the IMG is terrific for not even being out all the long.  I have used a few competing guides and feel it is a significant step in the right direction toward the ultimate guide IMHO, TiVo.

@b1920 wrote:

2.) When I'm in the middle of watching a DVR program, then pause and watch something else for a while, then come back to "Resume" watching, the set top box has sometimes lost the position of where I was in the program and starts over at the beginning. This doesn't always happen, but it does happen fairly frequently, and when it does happen, it is very frustrating, because I have to try to figure out where I was in the program and sometimes fast forward through several hours to get back where I was. This is a bad bug.

3.) When a program is currently being recorded (such as a football game), and I go to the DVR screen and press play for the FIRST TIME, the set top box should ALWAYS start from the beginning of the program!!! Instead, it starts at the very end of what's being recorded (i.e. the "now" file pointer). In the football game example, this is especially bad, because the first thing that comes up on the screen can be the current score, which is exactly what I DO NOT want to see. The first time you press "Play" on a DVR program should always start with the pointer at the beginning of the file.

6.) When fast forwarding near the end of a recording, the pointer suddenly jumps past the last few minutes all the way to the end.

I will say that I DO enjoy the picture quality of FIOS HD, and I'm looking forward to improvements in the software and guide info.

How do I get 1.6?  I thought the upgrades were done automatically?

0 Likes
b1920
Enthusiast - Level 2

nascar,

Thanks for the info, especially the link to send my suggestions to verizon.  I had looked around for some way to communicate my feedback to them and hadn't seen that link.

For several years we had DirecTV with a dual tuner TiVo box (Not HD).  We loved that interface.  My wife especially misses the "Wish List" functionality for saving searches on actors, actresses and directors.  She doesn't appreciate the HD picture quality as much as I do, so the change to FIOS feels like mostly downside to her.

I bought a nice big HD TV, and the picture quality of the HD service was my top priority.  I hate MPEG boxiness artifacts caused by higher compression ratios, and FIOS seemed to be the winner on the image quality front, so I went with it, knowing that the service and the software would probably take a while to mature.  The initial releases of IMG have been less mature and more buggy than I thought possible, but I'm hoping they'll make some serious progress soon.  Maybe someday I'll stop hearing my wife's cries of...  "I miss my TiVo!"

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

I would bet TiVo has a patent on "Wish List".  It is one of the best features.  TiVo is the best.  I'm hoping our feedback will get the IMG as close to it as possible.

@b1920 wrote:

For several years we had DirecTV with a dual tuner TiVo box (Not HD).  We loved that interface.  My wife especially misses the "Wish List" functionality for saving searches on actors, actresses and directors. 

0 Likes