Set Top Box Reboot on power up
harddrive747
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a standard defination set top box that will reboot at times when I turn it on.  It doesn't matter if I use the remote that came with the box, the remote on my phone or the power button on the front.

Once it reboots and reload everything works fine.  This is not the first box that has done this.  I have had three and each of them has done it in the past.  The last set top box died and I got a replacement.  The second time I powered the replacement up, it rebooted on me.  I do have the power outlet set to be on and off with the box.  I don't know if that makes a difference.

I had Verizon tech staff check out the old one and reflash it, but that didn't help.  So I'm wondering if others have had the same problem with a SD box and if so what did you do to get it to work?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Set Top Box Reboot on power up
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi harddrive747,

It's very rare that a customer has multiple set-top boxes that all reboot randomly. Usually, it's something else that is causing this such as overheating for example. We would suggest that you leave the power outlet for the box switched to off to see if it makes a difference. This is not something that is commom that we've heard about but we certainly would encourage you to reach out to us if the issue continues as we don't want your experience to continue like this.

Thanks,

CJH

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I do not think it is the box but to test if it is the box move it to another location that has a STB and swap them to see if the same thing happens.

0 Likes
harddrive747
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have turned the electrial outlet to always on.  So I will see what happens with that.  It will take a couple of days to see what happens.

I will let everything know.

Terry

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you were not always having power then it would BOOT when you power on.

0 Likes
harddrive747
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think I discovered the issue.  When the power plug is always on, everything works fine and the box does not reboot at power up.

However, when I switched it back to the plug being on when the box is on and off when not the problem came back.  It could be the fact that I have a 35 year old TV on it.  I think the problem could be that the power on requirement is overpowering the box's plug which causes it to reboot.

I don't use it all the time and I'm thinking about perhaps changing the TV, but we will see.

Terry

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

ITs basic to all stb I know of.  If you pull the power they boot when plugged in again.  Nothing to do with your older TV.

0 Likes
harddrive747
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let me clarifiy.  The power plug on the STB is set to be powered off when the box is off.  When I power up the box with my TV plugged in, it will reboot every once in a while.  So I believe that the power of my TV is too much for the box which forces it to reboot.

Terry

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

YOu have the TV power plugged into the STB?  THey removed the plug on most (all) newer models for just the reason you mentioned.  Most Tv's draw more power  than the box is rated for esp. on power up.

0 Likes