Set Top Boxes endlessly reboot
Dr992
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yesterday one of my Cisco STB boxes started endlessly rebooting. I pulled all the cables out, let it sit for an hour and then only plugged coax and power back in. Still keep rebooting over and over with no error codes. Rebooted the router, as well.

This morning another box does the same thing. I talked to Verizon and they say both boxes need to be replaced. Now I look at the mobile app, and it appears the DVR is now offline, likely rebooting too. Unless they boxes are getting bricked by a firmware update, it's highly unlikely they all are going at the same time.

Anyone else seen this before?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Set Top Boxes endlessly reboot
Dr992
Enthusiast - Level 2

I now have the definiative solution for the issue.

I have a MiCasaVerde (recently renamed Vera) home automation device on my network.   Aparently the Set Top Boxes do not like it's way of polling devices and endlessly reboot.  I confimed this by removing the device and all the boxes work normally.

I see others with the same issue on the MiCasa forums.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Dr992
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
chrismcc1

my set top box keeps rebooting it started on 10/13/2013

I saw these posts but no resolution

0 Likes
Dr992
Enthusiast - Level 2
Well I went one by one with devices and found it was a network switch on my ethernet network that was causing the reboots. Never would have guessed that, but it eventually had all 3 335 boxes rebooting. My DVR wasn't affected. After pulling the switch and unplugging each box they booted up.
0 Likes
Dr992
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a MiCasaVerde (recently renamed Vera) home automation device on my network.   Aparently the Set Top Boxes do not like it's way of polling devices and endlessly reboot.  I confimed this by removing the device and all the boxes work normally.

0 Likes
outofbreath

This solved it for me. I got FIOS installed today and after the installer guy left. I cleaned up my TV cabinet and hooked my network back up and all of a sudden both boxes were in the reboot loop.  

I already schedule a service guy to come back but after reading the last post I unplugged micasa verde and ...viola.

Thanks Dr99

@Dr99 wrote:

0 Likes
lfandujar

FiOS Cisco STB Reboots When Mi Casa Verde Vera Connected

A work around to stop FiOS Cisco STB from rebooting when Mi Casa Verde Vera is connected to router is to block UPnP on Vera's built in firewall. Apparently, when the STB boots it broadcasts UPnP messages and the Vera replies, but the STB has an issue with it which causes it to reboot.

Go to http://<your vera ip address>/cgi-bin/webif/info.sh and login with your root password. See notes to find the root password for your Vera.

Go to network -> firewall.

Click "add" in the rules section on the bottom of the page.

Source Zone = LAN
Protocol = UDP
Destination Port = 1900
Action = Reject
Click "Save and Apply"

Done!

Notes: Finding the root password for your Vera:

• Vera3 – the password is on the bottom of your box.

• VeraLite (Running UI5) –

•     You need to first access the device via SSH to view the remote password.
  •     http:// <your vera ip>

•     Go to Account → Tech support → Remote access → click Enable, note the 6 digit number after the dash.

•     ssh your vera ip (on Windows you will need an SSH client like Putty. Search for free download via your browser)

•     username: remote

•     password: <6 digit number noted above>

•     enter the following command “nvram show | grep pass”

•     Note the wifipass, it is also your root password

0 Likes
SKREENNAME
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wrong. It’s just an update from Verizon.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes