Set top Boxes Required for FIOS TV reception??
Jwerking

Two old retirees with  two Samsung smart TVs - about two yrs old.. We are currently on Cox and actually receive more channels on our TV without a set top box than the one with the box - don't know if they are HD, but we are not that picky. 

We just got Verizon FIOS in the neighborhood and thinking about switching to improve internet speed and lower our price with current bundles promotions.  However the $79 bundle price ended up costing $130 per month - no bargain - same price as my Cox service.  But maybe I can work on that price???

With FIOS TV does one get a lot of "bleed thru channels" without a set top box or just the local stations?

Also, can I buy a compatible Router/Modem from Amazon or other third party cheaper than the $200 from Verizon?

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
Re: Set top Boxes Required for FIOS TV reception??
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Without a box you will only recieve the local channels (with the exception of when a channel like HBO, Starz, etc. runs a free preview weekend and the channel is then sent clear for the preview).

0 Likes
Re: Set top Boxes Required for FIOS TV reception??
Typhoon87

I tried this a couple of weeks ago. So the TV "gets" about 60 stations but when you look at them you only get about 15.

I got my locals, plus an all spanish station, an all french station with subtitles on most shows, a couple really cheap movie channells, mostly like older B movies, like 5 channels that litteraly just self advertise FIOS and Verizon Wireless. 2 music channels and a few that did tune on the channel search but are just black dead air.

0 Likes