Set top box WiFi performance
Pabloj240

How has everyone’s experience been with the quality of set box playback over WiFi.?  Mine freezes and skips.

i have a Verizon quantum router (excellent range) WiFi all over my house and yard, even when the router is in the basement.

I have moved my TV and router and set top box to multiple locations around my house and the set-top box only works consistently if it is within 10 feet of the router and not going through a wall or floor. Anything further away it sometimes works but freezes and skips.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with technical support and a technician came out and installed some new equipment but basically said I might as well just hardwire the set top box, and that I could only have two wireless set top boxes total per router.

In the set top box settings, it says my link quality is good, video source quality is good, WiFi is good, RSSI is good,  everything is good...... except SNR is fair.

has anybody else had this issue? The router obviously has excellent range. When the rotor was in my basement I could stream HD video in the far upstairs corner of the second floor of my house and in the backyard.  
Do the set-top boxes have terrible Wi-Fi receivers?  I can watch my Verizon DVR over WiFi from my cell phone about 100 feet away from my router, yet the Verizon set top box only has a wireless range of about 10 feet.  I can watch Netflix on Amazon streaming on a fire stick 100 feet away from the router.   This is very frustrating because when I signed up for the Verizon contract I was under the impression that I wasn’t going to have to run coax all throughout my house.

any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Set top box WiFi performance
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Pabloj240 wrote:

How has everyone’s experience been with the quality of set box playback over WiFi.?  Mine freezes and skips.

i have a Verizon quantum router (excellent range) WiFi all over my house and yard, even when the router is in the basement.

I have moved my TV and router and set top box to multiple locations around my house and the set-top box only works consistently if it is within 10 feet of the router and not going through a wall or floor. Anything further away it sometimes works but freezes and skips.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with technical support and a technician came out and installed some new equipment but basically said I might as well just hardwire the set top box, and that I could only have two wireless set top boxes total per router.

In the set top box settings, it says my link quality is good, video source quality is good, WiFi is good, RSSI is good,  everything is good...... except SNR is fair.

has anybody else had this issue? The router obviously has excellent range. When the rotor was in my basement I could stream HD video in the far upstairs corner of the second floor of my house and in the backyard.  
Do the set-top boxes have terrible Wi-Fi receivers?  I can watch my Verizon DVR over WiFi from my cell phone about 100 feet away from my router, yet the Verizon set top box only has a wireless range of about 10 feet.  I can watch Netflix on Amazon streaming on a fire stick 100 feet away from the router.   This is very frustrating because when I signed up for the Verizon contract I was under the impression that I wasn’t going to have to run coax all throughout my house.

any suggestions?

The mini's wifi abilities are sketchy at best. The way to go wireless is to get a wifi extender and hardwire it to the mini. That way you dont have to run wire all over the house.

0 Likes
MikeG21

How do you wire an extender directly to the mini? I thought you needed to have coax for the extender.

My Fios One wifi box sometimes will be flawless, great picture for a day or two. Most of the time, the picture is distorted, freezes and the box will reboot several times a day. Numerous calls to tech support without a solution. About a week ago tech support sold me the new router G3200 it didn't make a difference. Then, I had to change my extender to the E3200. I'm thinking about sending the whole thing back at getting comcast. All coax boxes work fine.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@memikeg wrote:

How do you wire an extender directly to the mini? I thought you needed to have coax for the extender.

My Fios One wifi box sometimes will be flawless, great picture for a day or two. Most of the time, the picture is distorted, freezes and the box will reboot several times a day. Numerous calls to tech support without a solution. About a week ago tech support sold me the new router G3200 it didn't make a difference. Then, I had to change my extender to the E3200. I'm thinking about sending the whole thing back at getting comcast. All coax boxes work fine.

The extender connects wirelessly to your network. From the extender you run a cat5 to the mini, which DOES have an ethernet port. Reset the mini and it will find the wired connection.

0 Likes