Setting up 2 FIOS networks in a house
kgnboy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I have an older home 2 story + basement home with existing coax lines that are individually run from the external Verizon optical interface to the set top boxes for TV's throughout the house.  I also have a separate coax for internet directly to my FIOS router on the top floor from the Verizon optical interface.

Due to basement performance in the house and a need for a wired connection, I would like to split the coax line going to the basement  into the existing set top box and another Verizon FIOS router that I have.   I have connected it up and it appears to work, however I appear to be having periodic connection drop out issues.

How do I configure the FIOS routers to allow both to exist and provide wired internet to both areas of my house?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Setting up 2 FIOS networks in a house
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

My guess is that you can't. Verizon is only going to allow one rotuer at a time.

But what you can do (I have done it) is take another router (you could use the actiontec if you wipe it and manualy configure it) and have it act as a wireless bridge for the other. This does require you to run ethernet between the two routers.

You could also get some MOCA adapters and do it over the coax if that is the only way to get coverage.

Re: Setting up 2 FIOS networks in a house
kgnboy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, but that is the problem.  I don't want to start tearing out holes in walls to get an ethernet from the top floor to the basement (also an insulated external wall).  I am hoping there is a way to hard configure an address for the 2nd router.  

0 Likes