Setting up TV in Kids' rooms...do I need STB?
NYIceQueen
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello...I am looking to set up TVs in my kids bedrooms but with the lack of space will have to mount them.  There isn't a place to mount the boxes as well.  

If I'm not looking for them to watch HBO do I need a STB?  Can I just run the cable straight into the TV?  Would they be able to watch DVR recordings?

Any input from those with mounted TVs would be appreciated.  

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Setting up TV in Kids' rooms...do I need STB?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope. Only thing you can watch with cable direct in to TV (assuming it has a QAM tuner) are local channels.

No STB functionality at all.

Can always put the STB very low and run the cable up the wall (either in the wall or up the wall with cable cover).

PJL
Master - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

Nope. Only thing you can watch with cable direct in to TV (assuming it has a QAM tuner) are local channels.

No STB functionality at all.

Can always put the STB very low and run the cable up the wall (either in the wall or up the wall with cable cover).

And it's possible the clear QAM channels may go away.  The FCC just authorized the cable companies to do this.  No word on if/when Verizon is going to implement.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Although they could, I would hope they don't.

The reason for the FCC ruling is to prevent theft. Given that video can be controlled at the ONT,

Maybe they could use that as a selling point that they can still offer local channels w/ a box if you have the right kind of TV.

0 Likes