Show Files from PC On STB?
MisterVapor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to show pictures from my PC on my Set top box and I would also like to view video files I've stored on my PC, on my STB.  Is this possible? In today's day and age, one would think you can do this.  Then again, I THOUGHT the "Redbox by Verizon" would show up on my Set top boxes as well...silly me...lol.

0 Likes
Re: Show Files from PC On STB?
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

THIS IS HOW I DO IT

w Windows 7 Professional

Stream your media to devices and computers using Windows Media Player

If you have a home network, you can use Windows Media Player to stream media to computers and media devices in your home. For example, if you have a networked digital media receiver connected to your home stereo system, you can use Windows Media Player to stream music, pictures, and videos from your computer to your stereo. This allows you to enjoy the contents of your Player Library anywhere in your home—even in rooms that don't have a computer.

Watch a demo: Windows 7 Play To demo

The following procedures explain how to get started. For an overview about streaming media, including information about device and network requirements, see Getting started with media streaming.

To connect a device or another computer to your network

Before you can stream media, you'll need to connect your digital media devices or other computers to your home network. Here's how:

1. Connect an Ethernet cable from your device or other computer to your wired network, or set up your device or computer to join your wireless network.

For help connecting a device or computer to your network, check the documentation that came with your device or computer.

1. If you're connecting a device, turn it on, and then follow the instructions that appear on the device's screen. If you're connecting another computer, turn that computer on.

For more information about adding a device or computer to your network, see Add a device or computer to a network.

To turn on home media streaming

If media sharing isn't already turned on, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Windows Media Player.

If the Player is currently open and you’re in Now Playing mode, click the Switch to Library button in the upper-right corner of the Player.

1. Click Stream, and then click Turn on home media streaming.

Turn on home media streaming won't be available on the Stream menu if streaming is already turned on.

1. On the Media streaming options page, click Turn on media streaming.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Click OK.

Notes

• If your computer is on a public network, you will be prompted to change the network location before you can stream media. For more information about network locations, see Choosing a network location.
    • If you have set up a homegroup, you might be prompted to share your media libraries with your homegroup before you can stream media. For more information about sharing libraries with a homegroup, see Share libraries with your homegroup.

To set up basic streaming preferences

After you turn on media streaming, Windows Media Player will automatically detect any computers and devices on your network that can receive media streams. You can stream media to all computers and devices on your network, or allow access to your media on a case-by-case basis. To choose which devices will receive your media streams, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Windows Media Player.

If the Player is currently open and you’re in Now Playing mode, click the Switch to Library button in the upper-right corner of the Player.

1. Click Stream, and then click More streaming options.

Stream menu

More streaming options won't appear on the Stream menu until after you turn on home media streaming.

1. On the Media streaming options page, do one of the following:
    • If you want to stream media to all computers and devices on your network, click Allow All.
    • If you don't want to stream media to any computers or devices on your network, click Block All.
    • If you want to stream media to some computers and devices, click either Allowed or Blocked on the menu next to each item in the list of computers and devices.
  2. Click OK.

For more information about media steaming settings, see Change settings for streaming media in Windows Media Player.

To receive a media stream from another computer or device on your network

You can use Windows Media Player to receive a media stream from another computer or media device on your network so that you can play it on your computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click another computer's Player Library on your network listed under Other Libraries in the navigation pane.

If you don't see Other Libraries in the navigation pane, then do the following:

1. Click Organize, and then click Customize navigation pane.
    2. At the top of the Customize Navigation Pane dialog box, click the name of the Library in the drop-down list, and then click Other Libraries.
    3. Select the Show Other Libraries check box, and then click OK.
  1. Find an item you want to play in the details pane, and then double-click it.

To stream media to another computer or device using Play To

You can use Windows Media Player to stream media, or play to, another computer or media device on your network.

Play To dialog box

For example, if you have a digital media receiver connected to your home network, Windows will automatically detect it and allow you to play music on it using Windows Media Player. To play to another computer or device, follow these steps:

1. If the list pane is closed or if the Burn or Sync tabs are exposed, click the Play tab.
  2. Find the items that you want to play in the Player Library, and then drag those items from the details pane into the list pane.
  3. Click the Play to button at the top of the list pane, click the device on your network that will receive the media.
  4. In the Play To dialog box, use the playback controls to play, pause, or stop the media stream, and to change to the next or previous item in the list.

For more information about the Play tab, the list pane, and playback controls, see Getting started with Windows Media Player. For more information about Play To, see Using the Play To feature to stream media.

Note

• When you stream music to a digital media receiver, you might not be able to switch tracks using controls on the device itself or the remote control that came with the device.
0 Likes
MisterVapor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Granted I have not read your post word for word but what I did do was skim through the post for STB or Set top box as that is what I am trying to do...stream content from my local PC, Server, Workstation,NAS, whatever, to a Set top box so I can watch movies I've created on any STB in my house.  I have three Logitech Revues which work really well but in today's day and age, I am really surprised Verizon has spent so much time working on "Home Control" more than data/information sharing.  How many people record home movies vs how many people remote control their house?  I happen to be one of those who does BOTH...but I use Insteon with a little bit of X-10 worked in to control my house with my ISY-99/IR controller.  I can do that on my own....Verizon needs to figure out a way for me to stream my home movies to any STB in my house.  Do THAT and they would take over the cable market...in my humble opinion.

Regards,
MisterVapor

0 Likes
MisterVapor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok....so, I've read through your post a little more closely.  FIrst, I have to say I am surprised (sorta) more people don't use WIndows Media Player or even Home MEdia Server (which is now dying) to stream their media. Second, I think your idea is great...I've decided to use Tversity to stream my DLNA content.  

With respect to your solution, as I said, I've not gone through the process to setup the Windows Media Player so I don't know enough about the "Play To" feature and what devices it will Play-to....i.e. will it pay to a set-up-box?  If so, is this a seamless solution?  Can I get to the WMS from within the Verizon STB GUI?  I'll have to google the Play To feature and see if I can do this....it will answer the mail for me.

Thanks,
MV

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is my Equipment

Dell Latitude E6540

VZ STB DVR

Sony Blu-Ray Disc

Sony LCD Digital Bravia 46EX500

Either Pictures or Videos running in the Windows Media Player playlist

BTW

Recently I recorded my grandkids on open school day visit...on my iPad 2...in short clips.

Later I emailed them to my PC.

Used 4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum(freebee) to splice the segments into a 2 min plus movie, that I have watched on the TV.

73's for now,

0 Likes
luke_skywalker

This reads like Verizon passing the buck on responsibility for providing services to its customers. I can use the Play To option from WMP, but that means I need to be sitting at the computer to control the streaming. I have a Verizon STB in the basement attached to a dumb TV, and would like to use a streaming capability to view videos (specifically workout videos) published by my computer upstairs. Most smart TVs support this function, but I do not have that option in the basement. I also don't want to run upstairs to pause or rewind the workout video if someone calls or knocks on the door.

My understanding is that this functionality was previously available in the Media Manager application. However, that application is no longer included in the STB build, although for some reason it is still shown in the STB software (please fix this).

How do I do this with the Verizon STBs?

Thanks.

0 Likes