Shows auto-delete from DVR.
Kingconfusion
Since the recent updates I've had a problem with shows auto deleting from my DVR. Anyone else? It has nothing to do with the DVR being full. And it seems fairly random. I can have a show on there for weeks and it will remain but I can record something one night to find it gone the next morning.
0 Likes
Re: Shows auto-delete from DVR.
IanF1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Haven't had 'random' deletes, but my DVR has been running near its capacity recently, and I've noticed that the autodelete algorithms are definitely somewhat over-aggressive - for example, clearing about 3 hours worth of stuff from the recent deletes folder *and* another 1 hour show in order to record a new 1 hour show. They also seem to have a few bugs, such as: a show stopped recording because of lack of space, even though there were other shows available to delete (only seen that once though).

Do you use the 'Save Until I Delete' option? I find it useful for automatically ensuring that series recordings can't be auto-deleted, Unfortunately, haven't been able to find a way to set it in advance for single recordings, so have to go back and set it on shows after they have been recorded.

In all the auto-deletes I've seen they do seem to remove the oldest first. Could the older shows that are saved on your DVR be marked 'Save Until I Delete"?

Anyway, hope some of this helps ...

0 Likes
Kingconfusion
Never used "save until I delete" until now because I dont let the DVR fill up but that leads me to a question. When you are viewing a shows options and you can read that it says "save until I delete" does that mean that option is active or do you have to press ok to activate it?
0 Likes
IanF1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The menu option toggles between 'Save Until I Delete' and 'Save Until Space Needed'. It's potentially confusing - especially if you haven't used it before. So when it says 'Save Until I Delete' you do need to press ok to activate it.

Programs protected with 'Save Until I Delete' have a kind of shield with a cross on it next to them in the Recordings list. Other shows have nothing, so it's easy to tell what's protected and what isn't - although for folders you have to go into the folder in order to see what's set for the individual shows,

In the default settings for Record Series (can't remember how to get to that offhand) there is an option to make 'Save Until I Delete' the default option.

Hope this helps ... Ian

0 Likes
Kingconfusion

That does help. Thanks!

0 Likes
2chaplains

my wife is about to check-out with verizon. her shows get deleted even when dvr is not full. i've read the posts on"save till deleted", but is this a sure cure-all?

0 Likes
Janet110

I have all mine marked to save until I delete and this morning two shows that were there last night are gone. My capacity was 43%. Interestingly it was the next two episodes in the show I was binge watching so I’m forced to purchase them now.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over eight years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes