Since The New Menu launched for fios tv, been getting serious lag while changing channels.
Jake073

Everything was fine with fios until the new menu style was launched and as soon as that happened the remote signals began being delayed.  also known lag.  I would change through the channels and when i stop it will keep changing channels because of the delay.  This happened as soon as the new progam launched and wont stop. I've changed the batteries and reboot the box and still happens. Anyone else having these problems, and is there anyway to fix it? 

0 Likes
Re: Since The New Menu launched for fios tv, been getting serious lag while changing channels.
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon support is in receipt of this issue. We will send you a PM to gather additional information.

Thanks,

Tonya D.

0 Likes
Re: Since The New Menu launched for fios tv, been getting serious lag while changing channels.
Justin46
Legend

@Jake073 wrote:

Everything was fine with fios until the new menu style was launched and as soon as that happened the remote signals began being delayed.  also known lag.  I would change through the channels and when i stop it will keep changing channels because of the delay.  This happened as soon as the new progam launched and wont stop. I've changed the batteries and reboot the box and still happens. Anyone else having these problems, and is there anyway to fix it? 

I see that Tonya has responded, but to perhaps provide some clarification....it is very likely that you have QIP6xxx boxes and/or QIP2500 boxes. These are the oldest, slowest boxes Verizon has used, and they simply do not work well with the new 1.9 level of the IMG. IMO you will never, ever be satisfied keeping those boxes. I hope that what Tanya will do is offer to ship you replacement 7xxx boxes that will work well with 1.9.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
DeniseM4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem.  How can you identify what box you have?  I have had mine for two years.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@DeniseM wrote:

I have the same problem.  How can you identify what box you have?  I have had mine for two years.

The model of the STB is on the front of the box. Or you can log into your account at MyVerizon and look at the list of STBs you have, that will tell you the model.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
JGJ1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same symptoms for me. I just finished chatting with FiOS TV technical support. They tell me that QIP 2500 STBs and QIP-6 DVRs (which is what I have) will work properly in an updated 1.9 release which is still in development. They could not tell me when the fix(s) will be deployed. They did say that a credit is available for the inconvenience by calling Billing at 1-800-553-0228. I've not called them yet, so I don't know how much of a credit is being offered.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@JGJ wrote:

Same symptoms for me. I just finished chatting with FiOS TV technical support. They tell me that QIP 2500 STBs and QIP-6 DVRs (which is what I have) will work properly in an updated 1.9 release which is still in development. They could not tell me when the fix(s) will be deployed. They did say that a credit is available for the inconvenience by calling Billing at 1-800-553-0228. I've not called them yet, so I don't know how much of a credit is being offered.

I find that hard to believe. Joe Ambeault, the guy in charge of IMG development, made a statement at one point that those boxes simply did not have the hardware capacity to support the new Guide in HD:

"Unfortunately, try as we might, we were not able to provide support for HD canvas GUI’s and smooth scrolling animations on Motorola 6200 and 6416 devices due to graphics processing limitations of the hardware."

They are known to be slow and I doubt very much that Verizon development can improve things enough to satisfy very many people. Verizon does not market the 2500 boxes any more, they are focused on HD, so why would they invest any time improving or adding support for them? The 6xxx boxes do not have an eSATA connection at all for an external hard drive. And on and on.

And even if they do add better support, when will it be delivered? Verizon has not yet even rolled 1.9 out to the entire country, how long are you willing to put up with what you have right now?

Here is a link to the 1.9 Release Notes if you have not seen them:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FiOS-TV-Interactive-Media-Guide-1-9-Release-Notes/ba-p/...

If you want a credit, go for it. But if it were me, I would demand that Verizon replace my STBs with ones that do fully support 1.9. All of the 7xxx and Cisco boxes do. I have been assured by Verizon support people "in the know" (for whatever that is worth!) that Verizon has a procedure in place that if you call and have old STBs that do not fully support 1.9 they will ship replacement STBs to you, no charge and I think overnight. Now one gray area may be 2500 STBs, in most of the country they cost less per month than the HD STBs, I don't know how Verizon will  handle that. But if you can talk them into a no charge replacement, or you are willing to pay a few $$$ more for the HD STB, one advantage is that you will be able to view the HD-only channels, such as HDNet and HDNet Movies, on your SD TV.

I sympathize. I think Verizon has done a very poor job of publicizing the limitations of 1.9 on the 6xxx and 2500 STBs.

Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
JGJ1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It gets "better". I called billing this morning and they never heard of the 1.9 problem on older STBs, nor do they offer credits for anything less than a 24 hour service outage. The rep did figure out how to fudge a one time $10 credit, on her own.

0 Likes