Re: Slow Set Top Box Responses New Fios Quantum Box
dgburns
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jvmendoza wrote:

Just wondering how many out there have experienced slow response times from the remote to the new Quantum settop boxs. Is this a known bug and will there be a patch anytime soon? 

I find the GUI response to remote inputs to be frustratingly slow.  I have the Quantum VMS plus 3 client boxes.  But then again, every DVR I've ever had from Verizon or Comcast has had a very slow OS (except when I've used a TIVO).  For some reason they all seem to put the slowest (i.e. cheapest and lowest power consumption) CPU in set top boxes as they can get away with, no doubt to keep their equipment costs as low as possible.  It's all about deploying service for the lowest cost, which is not necessarily in sync with giving the customer the best experience possible.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

IN general the reponses are not slow.  Occassionally it might get busy and be slow for a few seconds.  And downloading guide data more then a week out is slow.

Look for other problems.  One make sure you turned off all the wasteful promotion options.  Two make sure your are not getting signal interference from you TV screen.

0 Likes
Amopower
Enthusiast - Level 1

No i disagree TNS_2, the responses are generally slow for certain functions. For example, clicking the record button on  a show - 10 second wait. Just about anything having to do with recordign a show, exiting the setting of the recording, you wait at least 10 seconds, sometimes more. This is consistent. its not like it happens when they are having "slow" times due to traffic, this is always. It's very aggravating and needs addressed immediately. I'm paying almost $200 a month for this and expect much better.

Justin46
Legend

@Amopower wrote:

No i disagree TNS_2, the responses are generally slow for certain functions. For example, clicking the record button on  a show - 10 second wait. Just about anything having to do with recordign a show, exiting the setting of the recording, you wait at least 10 seconds, sometimes more. This is consistent. its not like it happens when they are having "slow" times due to traffic, this is always. It's very aggravating and needs addressed immediately. I'm paying almost $200 a month for this and expect much better.

Not everybody sees what you are seeing. Yes there are certainly some that do, but not really that many or the Forums would be completely overwhelmed with complaints instead of the occasional few. I for example do not see ANY of what you describe, I typically see 1 to 2 seconds for any of those functions; just did a quick test, somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds to schedule a program to record. I tested this on the VMS itself, but when I request to schedule a recording from an IPC client I see no more than 2-3 seconds.  I also requested to record a program via the internet this afternoon from a remote location, came back scheduled within about 3-4 seconds, perfectly acceptable to me.

Verizon has made significant improvements since Quantum TV first became available, delivering limited new function and fixing problems. I received my system in early April to replace my existing QIP7232 and some QIP7100-P2 STBs, Verizon has delivered I believe 4 updates to the software since then, and each has improved the performance of the system. I have no idea when the next release will occur, but hopefully in Oct. since they have been delivering updates nearly every month, and I would expect additional improvements whenever the next software level is delivered.

I suggest you try turning the VMS off and unplugging it, then plug it back in and let it restart. If that doesn't help, there are some Support Tools under Customer Support in the Menu, I suggest you try those to see if anything there helps. And as a last resort, call Verizon tech support, describe what is happening, and request a replacement VMS.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
TheHolc99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would be happy with 10 sec response when trying to record a show.  Mine is 15-20 secs 95 % of the time.  Yesterday for a very short time it was 5 sec.  All other functions are working fine.  Go figure!!!  Contacting Verizon is useless.  Worst technical support I have ever encountered.

0 Likes
TheHolc99
Enthusiast - Level 2

More on previous post.  Today the response time for recording went up to 25 secs???  I have 2 DVRs + 2 set tops.  Response time on the second DVR is terrible also,  However if I go to either of the set tops and record the delay is only 3-4 secc.  Very strange. 

Does anyone know how to change which of the 2 DVRs does the recording.  Right now it defaults to 1 DVR and I wouuld like to change the default?

0 Likes
AndrewXUK

I have slow response on playback - select a program to play from recordings and the screen does blank for about 30 seconds. It doesn't matter if its is on the local DVR, a connected one or from a slave box.  Unplugging the DVR and restarting it again speeds it up for a while. 

Otherwise response to commands from the remote is quick and accurate.

0 Likes
jclark4
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Justin wrote:

@Amopower wrote:

Not everybody sees what you are seeing. Yes there are certainly some that do, but not really that many or the Forums would be completely overwhelmed with complaints instead of the occasional few.

Justin, I agree that not everybody has the remote problem, but I disagree with your statement that there are not that many or the Forums would be completely overwhelmed with complaints.  I think the reason the Forums aren't overwhelmed with complaints is because there are people who see it as useless to make a complaint on the forum.  What good does it do to post a complaint on a forum when nothing happens to correct the problem, or, there is no response from Verizon as to why, when or how the problem will be corrected? I am one who has had the slow response to remote commands but I haven't posted a complaint because from past experience, it doesn't do any good. I come to read the forum posts to see if anyone has figured out a work around to the problem.

Greeno34
Enthusiast - Level 3
Oh trust me. .. there are many out here with these delay problems. I'm going absolutely bananas over these delays. It's getting extremely irritating. I have ALL of the examples described above. It got better about 2 weeks ago, but now it's back worse than ever. My hope is this is something they are working on and that it will get better soon because I'm very happy with most of the features with quantum.
blackbear8
Enthusiast - Level 1
The reason I switched from cable to Fios was slow performance from the cable company boxes. Now my Quantum service is under performing and it's like cable all over again. Optimum stopped by the other day and they claim to have new boxes with fast performance. They are willing to provide a trial run and I will have to take them up on it.