Re: Slow Set Top Box Responses New Fios Quantum Box
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I, am many others, are not having slow STB responses for most things.  In fact it is often quite zippy.  One of the exceptions is going out a week with the quide. 

I have found that there are some spots in my room from which it doesn't seem to see the IR of my remotes.  Spots that were seen by my older ARRIS (Motorola) STB's.

0 Likes
tmn1973

i'm having this same problem and it's very annoying. i suspect a memory leak in the software, since the problem goes away with a reboot but then slowly gets worse and worse over time until the box eventually slows to a crawl. after a reboot, things are usually ok for about a week before the slowness begins creeping back in, and then it continues to get slower and slower from that point on.

there may be multiple brands of STBs that Verizon is using, and perhaps the issue only affects one of those brands, which may be why some people are not affected and others are. it may be useful for people who have the issue, and those who don't, to report which brand and model # of STB they have installed.

0 Likes
green1940
Enthusiast - Level 1
i just got 2 media servers and very slow compared to previous 2 non quantum set top
Psihawk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have noticed the slow response time issues as well after upgrading to Quantum.   A reboot of the Media Server box usually helps clear this up.   It takes a few weeks before the problem really gets bad so its not terrible,  I am sure an update will be out soon to help clear some of this up

Bionic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issues here - very frustrating.  I can typically improve things by pulling the plug and rebooting but it comes back.

Something else I've just come across is an issue with resolution and picture aspect.  I've meneged to kick all of my STBs except 1 into this **bleep**ty behavior.  It started when I just hooked up our main living room set to the box after moving.  No matter what I did the picture was being displayed as a 16:9 letterboxed 4:3.  Meaning, the 16:9 HD picture is being displayed in a 4:3 box with black bars top and bottom, and then that 4:3 has grey bars on both sides. I've tried all varieties of output resolution on the STB and picture size on the TV to no avail.  Finally after swapping through settings for 30min it came back to displaying 16:9 HD as full screen.  But now the remaining issue is that all menu screens are sort of fuzzy resolution.  I went to check one of my other sets to make sure this wasn't normal and the menu screens are very sharp.  Unfortunately I checked the resolution output and played with it just to see what happens and kicked this STB into the same fuzzy menu behavior and an odd new display - it is stretching and letterboxing 16:9. So the aspect of the picture is something like 22:9 with black bars top and bottom.  No matter what I do I can't fix it.

I haven't called tech support yet but did use the troubleshooting tools to reset the box to no avail.

0 Likes
ANDH1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The new Quantum Box is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than the older units. There is an obvious lag time with every function. I've actually called to downgrade back to the older units. There is no reason to pay additional for "Quantum TV" when it provides a slower user experience than 4 or 5 year old boxes!

And to those who say they haven't experienced this; I've contacted FIOS customer support on 10/20 as well as 11/13 and both times they admitted to there being a problem with Quantum devices exhibiting lag in responding to inputs and that this will be "corrected in a future update". Additionally I was provided with a billing credit for the difference in my bill since upgrading to Quantum TV as well as being refunded the upgrade fee.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ANDH wrote:

The new Quantum Box is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than the older units. There is an obvious lag time with every function. I've actually called to downgrade back to the older units. There is no reason to pay additional for "Quantum TV" when it provides a slower user experience than 4 or 5 year old boxes!

And to those who say they haven't experienced this; I've contacted FIOS customer support on 10/20 as well as 11/13 and both times they admitted to there being a problem with Quantum devices exhibiting lag in responding to inputs and that this will be "corrected in a future update". Additionally I was provided with a billing credit for the difference in my bill since upgrading to Quantum TV as well as being refunded the upgrade fee.

There are some problems with them but not SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWER FOR EVERY Functions.  Some functions, like looking at the guide at about a week are slower.

• Make sure you try your remote from several angles from the STB.  I have found it   doesn't work in quite the range that the others did.
  • TURN OFF PROMOTIONS ETC in Settings.  These things delay responses at time while it waits for them.
  • Note some TV's cause IR interference.  TRY moving where your STB is located or shielding your STB from the TV screen. 
  • Occasionally the STB may need to be rebooted.  Seems like some functions occasionally stop working and then they do other response slows down.  Probably this is what Customer support is referring to as known problem.  When this happens try rebooting as soon as convenient.  Best place to do so is for menu/customer support/top support tools/Fix FIOS TV Issues.
0 Likes
nlvdave
Enthusiast - Level 2

I must unplug to reset my DVR 3-4 times a week due to slowdown issues that are crippling. I find it hard to believe there is a single person out there, who actually records shows, the does not have slowdown issues.

nlvdave
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin, you obviously work for Verizon. There is only one person out of ten that will actually complain about poor service. If these are isolated why won't Verizon replace my hardware when I call them? They tell me over and over that i should reboot my DVR and there is a fix for this on the way. I work with IT products daily. The only fix for slow is more powerful hardware. Verizon went with the lowest bidder on this slow horrible hardware and now we get to pay for that.

0 Likes
nlvdave
Enthusiast - Level 2

It lasts 2-3 days, depends on how much you record.