Slow Start Up Connection
abrickrock

Every time I turn on my STB and TV it takes 3 minutes for the picture to come on. This started about 6 months ago sometimes the TV doesn’t show the picture even after a few minutes so I turn the box and TV off then restart them and the picture comes on fast. It’s an LG TV which always connected fast up until a few months ago. Nothing has changed and I reset the STB several times. Here’s what happens I power up the STB and TV at the same time the STB has the power light on and the TV has the power light on but no picture 3 minutes later the picture comes on. If the picture doesn’t come on in 3 minutes I turn both off but when I hit off the STB goes off but the TV power light still stays on for 30 seconds as if it’s waiting or trying to connect to the STB. Then when I try it again it comes on fast. I checked all the connections and tried different inputs but it always takes 3 minutes before I see the picture and sound. I’ve also tried leaving the box on then starting the TV and leaving the TV on and starting the box but it still takes a long time to come on.

0 Likes
Re: Slow Start Up Connection
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No benefit to turning the STB off.

Doesn't save power.

Try leaving it on and see if that helps.

0 Likes
abrickrock

I did try leaving the box on and still have the same problem. It seems like its trying to make the connection but times out then maybe tries a differnt connection. Sometimes it never connects but then I turn it off and on again and it comes right on. Ive had a few issues with it comming on and theres no sound but turning it off and on again fixes it.

0 Likes
Airwolf1
Enthusiast - Level 3

It sure sounds like a handshake issue to me. Are you using HDMI?

I'd have Verizon send you a new STB and see if the problem persists. If it does then the issue lies with the tv.

You could try a new HDMI cable, but it's highly unlikely that the cable itself the issue.

0 Likes
abrickrock

When we first set this up 4 years ago it didnt work well with the HDMI input so I used the composit cable and it worked fine up until now so I now switched to the HDMI and now the HDMI works fine except for the initial connection. So both inputs and cable types have the same problem. Yes it sounds like a handshake issue. I do have another box and TV but I havent tried changing it yet. Im trying to avoid switching the boxes. I'm guessing at some point they made an upgrade to the box and that upgrade has a problem with my TV. The TV is from 2007.

0 Likes
abrickrock

I just switched boxes and the problem did not move. so it seems like something with the TV. The thing is it worked for years and nothing changed. I'm guessing Verizon mad a firmware update or something and now my TV doesnt like the box. It does come on but usually only after the second try. The TV has a standby light which flashes until it makes the connection but after it stops flashing there is still no picture. Sometimes it comes on after 3 minutes and sometimes I need to turn it off and on again.

0 Likes